Zimbabwe Civil Registration
|Zimbabwe Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
How to Find the Records
- 1890-1977 : Zimbabwe Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977, images, incomplete. At FamilySearch (free) - How to Use this Collection. Also at Ancestry.com, images, incomplete, ($)
- 1904-1976 : Zimbabwe Death notices, 1904-1976, index, images, incomplete. At FamilySearch (free). - How to Use this Collection - Also at Ancestry.com, images, incomplete, ($).
- 1938-1973 - Records of voters for Rhodesia, 1938-1973, includes names, birth dates and places, and more (see Zimbabwe Voters Registration).
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Births and Baptisms, Zimbabwe, index and images, ($)
- British Civil Service Evidence Of Age, Rhodesia, index ($)
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Banns and Marriages, Zimbabwe, index and images, ($)
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials, Zimbabwe, index and images, ($)
Offices to Contact
All records are kept at the National Archives in the capital city of Harare, formerly known as Salisbury. Records can be found at national, provincial, and district archives.
Records begin about 1893. A separate registration for the Indian population covering the years 1858 to 1921 may be available.
Zimbabwe was formerly known as Southern Rhodesia and became independent from Great Britain on April 18, 1980. Even though civil registration was established in 1890 it did not become mandatory until after independence. Birth registration began in 1891 and death registration in 1904. Birth and death registrations did not include African tribal members until 1963. 
Coverage and Compliance
Civil registration records are a primary source of birth, marriage, and death information for the Caucasian and Asian populations in Southern Africa. Coverage of indigenous population is significantly lower.
See also Zimbabwe Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records for information on records available on FamilySearch.
Information Recorded in the Records
These records generally contain:
- FamilySearch, Zimbabwe, Death Records - FamilySearch Historical Records, (accessed 30 May 2020)
- UNICEF Data: Monitoring the situation of children and women, UNICEF Data for Zimbabwe, accessed 30 May 2020. "Data sources: Information on civil registration systems was compiled over a period from December 2016 to November 2017 using the existing relevant legal frameworks and in consultation with CRVS experts, officials within the relevant national institutions, and UNICEF country offices. All reasonable precautions have been taken by UNICEF to verify this country profile; updates will be made to reflect changes in policy and implementation and/or new information."