Zimbabwe, Voter Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Zimbabwe|
|Location of Zimbabwe|
|Record Type:||Voter Registration|
|National Archives of Zimbabwe|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This consist of voter registration records for Rhodesia from 1938-1973. Rhodesia was an unrecognised state in southern Africa from 1965 to 1979, equivalent in territory to modern Zimbabwe. Rhodesia was the de facto successor state to the British colony of Southern Rhodesia, which had been self-governing since achieving responsible government in 1923. In 1980 it achieved independence and was recognized as the nation of Zimbabwe.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of voter
- Length of residence
- Employer's name
- Date and place of birth
- Whether or not a citizen
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
- The person's age at the time of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]You will be able to search this collection when it is published.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Estimate the voter's birth date to locate records in church and civil records
- Make note of the address and see if other members of the family registered to vote and extend research to include them
- If the voter's occupation is in the military search for them in military records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spelling in the name
- The individual may be known by another name or may use initials for their name
- Check to see if the name was misspelled or if it was indexed incorrectly
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Zimbabwe Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977
- Zimbabwe Death notices, 1904-1976
- South Africa, Netherdutch Reformed Church Registers (Pretoria Archive), 1838-1991
- South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Records (Stellenbosch Archive), 1690-2011
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.