Zimbabwe, Death Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Zimbabwe Death notices, 1904-1976 and Zimbabwe Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Zimbabwe|
|Location of Zimbabwe|
|Registrar General. National Archives, Harare|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
These collections include:
- Zimbabwe Death Notices from 1904-1976
- Zimbabwe Death Registers from 1890 to 1977
- Zimbabwe Index to Death Registers from 1892-1977
Zimbabwe was formerly known as Southern Rhodesia and became independent from Great Britain on April 18, 1980. Even though civil registration was established in 1890 it did not become mandatory until after independence. Birth registration began in 1891 and death registration in 1904. Birth and death registrations did not include African tribal members until 1963. Birth and death certificates are currently registered through district registries in each town or city, but all records are kept at the National Archives in the capital city of Harare, formerly known as Salisbury.
The Zimbabwe Death Registers are printed indexes of the names of deceased. Each entry may have the following abbreviations:
- ADM - Administration
- DR - Death Register
- W - Will
"D.R." is followed by the volume number/page number. It appears those records that are labeled ADM are probably administrations which are separate from the death registers and they contain wills and living Trust records.
After locating the entry for an individual by surname in an index, the death record can be found in the Death registers by using the reference information provided in the index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in English and obtained from the National Archives at Harare and Salisbury, Zimbabwe.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
Zimbabwe Death notices[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Zimbabwe Death notices, 1904-1976.|
Zimbabwe Death Registers[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Zimbabwe Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Full name, age and gender of deceased
- Race, marital status, and residence
- Date and place of death
- Cause of death
- Duration of last illness
- Intended burial place
- Birthplace of deceased
- Names of parents
- Name of surviving spouse, if married
- Number of children and whether they are major or minor
- Medical attendant's name and residence
- Informant and their qualifications
- Informant's residence
- Property left by the deceased
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person you are looking for
- Approximate location and year of death
Zimbabwe Death notices, 1904-1976[edit | edit source]
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select District
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
Zimbabwe Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977[edit | edit source]
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Record Type
- Select Year Range and Volume or Certificate Number to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Zimbabwe, Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use names of parents, if identified, that would help you find birth records
- Use spouse's name, if identified, to find a marriage record
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same area
- Use the death or burial date to find other records that may provide more information on your ancestor. These include obituaries, grave markers, sexton’s records, or a civil or religious death records
- Pay attention to any notes about your ancestor such as occupation or marriage status. This information can be used to locate other records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If a death or burial record cannot be found for your ancestor in the locality where it is believed they died, try searching the records of nearby localities
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Look for probate records for the region and time period in which your ancestor supposedly died. These records may give clues about when he or she passed away
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. There also may be variations in the spelling of names. Try variations while browsing through images
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.