Yorkshire, England Genealogy
|Yorkshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Yorkshire ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
County Information[edit | edit source]
Yorkshire (abbreviated Yorks) is an historic maritime county of northern England and the largest in the United Kingdom. ...Yorkshire has been ruled by Celts, Romans, Danes, Normans, and Britons, and has its own distinct culture which is celebrated by its citizens. Yorkshire is divided into “Ridings,” or smaller governmental divisions: North Riding of Yorkshire, West Riding of Yorkshire, and East Riding of Yorkshire. Genealogical and family records may refer to Yorkshire as a whole, or to one particular Riding. ...The spoken language in Yorkshire is a dialect of English known as Tyke, and dialects differ between ridings and even from village to village, though in modern times the differences between localities has become less pronounced. This does not generally affect civil or parish records, though it may affect family histories and other informal documents. ...The geography of Yorkshire has also influenced its people. Yorkshire is a very green county, with coastal areas, hills, valleys, and forests. The North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales figure prominently into the landscape, and provide large areas of wilderness through the north and west portions of the county.
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Parishes[edit | edit source]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
To determine the various jurisdictions of a place-name in Yorkshire, the use of this interactive map to find each jurisdiction will be helpful.
Ridings[edit | edit source]
The county of Yorkshire is divided into three "Ridings" (small governmental divisions): North Riding of Yorkshire, West Riding of Yorkshire, and East Riding of Yorkshire. Each contains a number of parishes.
- West Riding of Yorkshire Parishes
- North Riding of Yorkshire Parishes
- East Riding of Yorkshire Parishes
- York and Ainsty Parishes - the city of York is an independent entity
Civil Districts[edit | edit source]
- List of Yorkshire North Riding Civil Registration Districts
- List of Yorkshire East Riding Civil Registration Districts
- List of Yorkshire West Riding Civil Registration Districts
[edit | edit source]
- RootsChat East Riding & York Resources and help pages. (Free).
- RootsChat North Riding Resources and help pages. (Free).
- RootsChat West Riding of Yorkshire Resources and help pages. (Free).
- Yorkshire (Genuki)
- 1930 - England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index