Yarmouth, Hampshire Genealogy
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Yarmouth (St. James)
YARMOUTH (St. James), a market-town and parish, and formerly a representative borough, in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 10 miles (W.) from Newport, and 94 (S. W.) from London, by Portsmouth. Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Yarmouth parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|YARMOUTH PARISH Online Records|
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites[edit | edit source]
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
References [edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 707-716. Date accessed: 28 May 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 24 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.