Winneshiek County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Winneshiek County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Winneshiek County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1847|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Quick Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for the a chief of the Winnebago tribe. The County has Decorah as its seat and the County was created 1847. The County is located in the northeast area of the state.
Winneshiek County, Iowa Record Dates
1847 Winneshiek County was created 20 February 1847 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Clayton County prior to organization 1 March 1851. County seat: Decorah 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|IAGenWeb Archives||FamilySearch Places|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records. List of Churches and Church Parishes
First Lutheran Church
- Records of the First Lutheran Church, Winneshiek County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com.
St. Petri Lutheran Church, Decorah
- Records of the St. Petri Lutheran Church, Decorah, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com.
Stavanger Lutheran Church, Ossian
- Records of the Stavanger Lutheran Church, Ossian, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Winneshiek County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. They include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, transactions were usually recorded and housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Winneshiek County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- And so they came -- to Bloomfield Township. By Judith M. Friedrich. Winneshiek County, Iowa : Bloomfield Township Historical Society, [1977?]. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library; At various libraries(WorldCat).
- History of Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties, Iowa. By W. E. Alexander. Sioux City, Iowa : Western Pub. Co., 1882. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library, Internet Archive, HathiTrust; At various libraries(WorldCat).
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1862-1910 - Iowa, Records of Persons Subject to Military Duty, 1862-1910 at FamilySearch — index
Regiments. Service men in Winneshiek County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Winneshiek County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company K
- - 3rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
- - 6th Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company D
- - 9th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
- - 15th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company K
- - 46th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company F
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1859-1990 - United States, Iowa Naturalization Records, 1859-1990 at FamilySearch — index and images
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Winneshiek County, Iowa Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Online Probate Indexes and Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. Iowa's unique Old Age Assistance tax gives names, addresses and birth years. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded by civil officials on registers, certificates, and other documents. Copies or extracts may be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office. See also Iowa Vital Records.
- 1850-1939 - Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921-1942 - Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1809-1992 Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- 1836-1926 Iowa, Marriages, 1836 - 1926 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- 1838-1934 Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1880-1951 Iowa, Marriage Records, 1880-1951 at Ancestry.com ($) — index and images
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900-1939 Iowa Death Index, 1900-1939 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- 1904-1951 - Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1920-1967 Iowa, Death Records, 1920-1967 at Ancestry.com ($) — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Center and Affiliate Library Locator map - search for local Family History Centers or Affiliate Libraries
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
- FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
- Winneshiek County IAGenWeb
- Winneshiek County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Winneshiek County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Norwegian Ridge
- Wikipedia contributors, "Winneshiek, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winneshiek_County,_Iowa."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winneshiek County, Iowa. Page 230-238 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 222-225.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Winneshiek County, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winneshiek_County%2C_Iowa, accessed 4 November 2019.