Difference between revisions of "Wendling, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replace - "http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>" to "")
(Added to parish history)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Norfolk]]  
+
[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Norfolk Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Wendling_Church.jpg|thumb|right|Wendling St Peter and St Paul]]
+
[[Image:Wendling Church.jpg|thumb|right]]  
  
 
<br>  
 
<br>  
Line 7: Line 7:
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Wendling St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Brisley deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.<br>  
+
WENDLING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a '''parish''', in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (W.) from East Dereham. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A.,[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51388#s4 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 509-513. Date accessed:05 August 2013.</ref>
  
The church of St. Peter &amp; Paul was built in approx. 1345. This place is of considerable antiquity. Prior to 1267 an abbey was founded by William de Wendling, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, for Praemonstratensian canons; it was suppressed by a bull of Pope Clement, and in 1528 granted to Cardinal Wolsey for the foundation of his college.<br>
+
<br> Wendling St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Brisley deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.<br>
 +
 
 +
The church of St. Peter &amp; Paul was built in approx. 1345. This place is of considerable antiquity. Prior to 1267 an abbey was founded by William de Wendling, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, for Praemonstratensian canons; it was suppressed by a bull of Pope Clement, and in 1528 granted to Cardinal Wolsey for the foundation of his college.<br>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 28: Line 30:
 
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 717<br>  
 
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 717<br>  
  
The Methodist meetings were held in a local cottage till 1848. The first church was built on damp ground next to the Railway Tavern Inn in 1848.<br>The second church was built in 1877 on Dereham Road next to what was the Old Post Office and village shop. In 1915 the present church was built in Station Road.<br>
+
The Methodist meetings were held in a local cottage till 1848. The first church was built on damp ground next to the Railway Tavern Inn in 1848.<br>The second church was built in 1877 on Dereham Road next to what was the Old Post Office and village shop. In 1915 the present church was built in Station Road.<br>  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 34: Line 36:
 
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438863}}  
 
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438863}}  
  
 
+
<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
Line 61: Line 63:
 
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/wendling-st-peter-st-paul/ for information about the parish<br>  
 
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/wendling-st-peter-st-paul/ for information about the parish<br>  
  
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51388 British History online<br>
+
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51388 British History online<br>  
 +
 
 +
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wendling/wendling.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>
 +
 
 +
== Reference ==
  
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wendling/wendling.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>
+
{{reflist}}
  
 
<br>  
 
<br>  
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 12:32, 5 August 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Parishes

Wendling Church.jpg


Parish History[edit | edit source]

WENDLING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (W.) from East Dereham. [1]


Wendling St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Brisley deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.

The church of St. Peter & Paul was built in approx. 1345. This place is of considerable antiquity. Prior to 1267 an abbey was founded by William de Wendling, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, for Praemonstratensian canons; it was suppressed by a bull of Pope Clement, and in 1528 granted to Cardinal Wolsey for the foundation of his college.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • Mitford 1837-1938
  • East Dereham 1939-1974


Church records[edit | edit source]

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 717

The Methodist meetings were held in a local cottage till 1848. The first church was built on damp ground next to the Railway Tavern Inn in 1848.
The second church was built in 1877 on Dereham Road next to what was the Old Post Office and village shop. In 1915 the present church was built in Station Road.

Census records[edit | edit source]

a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.



Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Mitford &Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm

Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.

Norfolk Poor Law Unions


Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites[edit | edit source]

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/wendling-st-peter-st-paul/ for information about the parish

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51388 British History online

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wendling/wendling.htm Norfolk Churches website

Reference[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 509-513. Date accessed:05 August 2013.