Washington County Probate Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Washington|
|Location of Washington|
|State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch, Bellingham, Washington|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection includes probate case files from 1853 to 1929. The records are from the following counties:
- Probate Case Files Date Range
- San Juan,1891-1930
The records were created by county courts and are housed at the Washington State Archives Northwest Regional Branch.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Washington County Probate Records, 1853-1929.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Probate records include petitions, inventories, accounts, decrees, oaths of executors, forms about guardians and other court documents.
- Name of testator or deceased
- Names of heirs such as spouse, children, and other relatives or friends
- Names of witnesses
- Residence of testator
- Lists of belongings, property, and so forth
- Recording dates
- Sometimes the date of death
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- The location or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page.
- Select County
- Select Record type, year range and volume number or letter
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
If these are indexes, the original records may contain additional information than was not indexed, or the information might have been indexed incorrectly. You may want to search for the original record at the Washington Genealogy Records.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use a Probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives
- Use a probate record to approximate a death date then try to locate a death record
- Use probate information to search for birth, baptism, and marriage records
- Search for death or burial information in cemetery and newspaper records
- Use the information to look for land and property records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching nearby locations
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Washington.
- Beginning Research in United States Probate Records
- Washington Guided Research
- Washington Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1907 | 1907-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.