Wadworth, Yorkshire Genealogy
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WADWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4½ miles(S.) from Doncaster; containing 681 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Neighbouring Parishes[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Civil registration [edit | edit source]
Primary registration of births, marriages and deaths took place at the Doncaster registration district has been included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search. Marriages include
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
Parish Records[edit | edit source]
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1575.
Bibiography[edit | edit source]
Genealogy and History Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 429-432. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51367
- 'Search Marriage Records in West Riding of Yorkshire,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 2 October 2012.