The Draper Manuscript Collection[edit | edit source]
The Draper Manuscript Collection is a significant regional source that includes records of Tennessee.
- Draper Manuscript Collection The collection consists of nearly 500 volumes of manuscripts, papers, and books collected by Lyman Copeland Draper about the history of the trans-Allegheny West, a region including the western areas of the Carolinas and Virginia, all the Ohio River Valley, and part of the upper Mississippi Valley from the 1740s to 1830. The collection is divided into 50 series. Some series are titled by geographic area, some by the names of prominent frontier leaders, and some by topic. The bulk of the collection consists of notes from interviews, questionnaires, and letters gathered during Draper’s extensive travels and research to learn about frontier history. Personal papers are much more rare than government or military records.
The collection includes many items of a genealogical or biographical nature. For an inventory and partial indexes, see:
- Guide to the Draper Manuscripts This guide gives series and volume descriptions for some of the Draper manuscripts. There are several indexes at the end of the book, including a name and subject index, an additional personal data index, and a list of references to Illinois.
- Index to Lyman C. Draper Manuscripts. The name index gives the series and volume numbers, but is not complete.
Plats For State Land Grants 1784-1868
This series consists of recorded copies of plats for state land grants for the Charleston and the Columbia Series with their certificates of admeasurement or certification. All personal names and geographic features on these plats are included in the repository's On-line Index to Plats for State Land Grants
The South Carolina Constitution of 1790 required the surveyor general to maintain offices in both the new capital at Columbia and in Charleston. The surveyor general began to use separate volumes for recording plats in his Columbia office in 1796. Before that, all plats were recorded in the set of volumes begun in Charleston in 1784. After 1796, most plats for land grants in the Upper Division of the state were recorded and filed in Columbia. The surveyor general chose to make the Columbia volumes a continuation of the state plat volumes begun in Charleston and gave the initial Columbia volume the number thirty-six to correspond with the number of the volume that had then been reached in the Charleston series. As a result, there are volumes numbered thirty-six through forty-three from each office, but the records in them are not duplicative.
Also included are the Plan Books containing Plats and Plans.
1. "The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America", 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census[edit | edit source]
Church[edit | edit source]
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Web Sites[edit | edit source]
- Family History Library Catalog for this county.
References[edit | edit source]
Table for US states
|Mont||Nebr||Nev||NH||NJ||N Mex||NY||NC||N Dak||Ohio||Okla||Oreg||PA|
|RI||SC||S Dak||Tenn||Tex||Utah||VT||VA||Wash||W VA||Wis||Wyo|
- "Funeral Home &amp; Cemetery Directory".(Youngstown, OH:Nomis Publications, Inc., c2009),937.
- Draper, Lyman Copeland. Draper Manuscript Collection Chicago, Illinois: University of Chicago Library, 197–?. (On 147 Family History Library films beginning with 889098.)
- Harper, Josephine L. Guide to the Draper Manuscripts. Madison, Wisconsin: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1983. (Family History Library book 977.583/M1 A3h.)
- Wolfe, Barbara Schull. Index to Lyman C. Draper Manuscripts. Logansport, Indiana: B.S. Wolfe, 197–?. (Family History Library book 977.583/M1 A3w.)