User:AdkinsWH/Sandbox Temp Iowa Hists
Local histories are available for Appanoose County, which may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Iowa Local Histories.
1843 Established in 1843, Appanoose County was named for a chief of the Sac and the Fox Indian tribes that lead the peace party during the Black Hawk War. Appanoose means "A Chief When a Child."  During the first part of the 20th century, mining was a major factor in Appanoose. The county seat for Appanoose is Centerville.
Online Local Histories
- Biographical and historical record of Wayne and Appanoose Counties, Iowa: containing portraits of all the presidents of the United States from Washington to Cleveland.... Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886 at Ancestry — ($)
- Heusinkveld, W. M., revision. Appanoose County Historical Atlas. Originally printed by Appanoose County Sesquicentennial Commission, 1996 and reprinted by the Appanoose County Historical and Coal Mining Museum in 2010 at Appanoose County Website
- Mott, David C. Abandoned Towns, Villages and Post Office. The Annals of Iowa, Volume XVII, Nos. 6, 7 and 8, and Volume XVIII, Nos. 1, 2 and 3, (State Historical Society of Iowa, 1930-1932) at State Library of Iowa website — PDF format
- Taylor, L. L., Editor. Past and Present of Appanoose County, Iowa ~ Volume 1 Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1913 at FamilySearch Digital Library; at Google eBookstore; and at Internet Archive.
- Taylor, L. L. Editor. Past and Present of Appanoose County, Iowa - Volume II Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, m 1913 at FamilySearch Digital Library; and at Internet Archive
- The History of Appanoose County, Iowa Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1878 at FamilySearch Digital Library and at Internet Archive
- Arnold, John, Compilor. A Pictorial History of Appanoose County, Iowa. Volume I. Marceline, MO: D-Books Publishing, 1996.
- Beck, Robert Knowlton. 100th Anniversary: Iowa Trust and Savings Bank, Centerville, Iowa, 1896-1996. Centerville, IA: Iowa Trust and Savings Bank, 1996.
- Beck, Robert Knowlton. Report on the Rathbun Dam Centerville, IA: Daily Iowegian, 1954?.
- Early Pioneer Stories Centerville, IA: Appanoose County Genealogical Society, 19??. Reprint of articles in the Progress Anniversary Edition of the Centerville Daily Iowegian, 10 January, 1934.
- Heusinkveld, W. M.; Historical Sketches of Pioneer Days in Appanoose County, Iowa Centerville, IA: Bill Heusinkveld, 2004, Originally written as columns for the Centerville Daily Iowegian from July 2002 to July 2004.];
- Stamps, Maurice. More Shoal Creek Legends. Seymour, IA: Seymour Community Club, August 2007.
- Stamps, Maurice. Shoal Creek Legends 3 Seymour, IA: Seymour Community Club, 2009.
- Ramsey, Guy R. Names of Old Towns Fading into Haze of Past Memories, The Daily Iowegian, 28 November 1948.
- Pioneer Roll of Honor 
- Postoffices and Postmasters of Appanoose County, Iowa, 1846 to 1988. 
- Post Offices in Appanoose County, 1865 
- Rathbun Dam History. 
- Rural School Memories, Appanoose County, Iowa. Information, memories and pictures contributed by many volunteers about the 140 schools in Appanoose County in 1912.
- Shoal Creek Legends. The three volumes of Shoal Creek Legends were originally newspaper articles published in The Seymour Herald; printed and sold by the Seymour Community Club as fundraising projects. Maurice Stamps grew up around Shoal Creek in Franklin Township, Appanoose County, and served many years as a teacher and administrator in the Seymour Community Schools.
- The History of Appanoose County, Iowa - 1986 
- This Day in Iowa History. 
- The Place-Names of Appanoose County, Iowa 
- Tour of Iowa Counties: Appanoose County" 
- Iowa Indexes at EveryNameIndex.com — Select the county.