Ukraine, Sumy Civil Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ukraine, Sumy Civil Registers, 1918-1922
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Ukraine|
|Location of Sumy, Ukraine|
|Location of Ukraine|
|Record Type:||Civil Registers|
|Title in the Language:||Украина, Акты гражданского состояния 1918-1922|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection, which contains records for the years 1918-1922, consists of images of civil registers containing births, marriages, and deaths for the city of Sumy, acquired from the archive in Sumy. The text of the records is in Russian. Civil registers, also called vital records, had just been established in Ukrainian cities at this time, and gaps in registration continued until 1926.
While searching through this collection, it may be helpful to note that some of the letters used in these records were eliminated in the 1918 Russian spelling reform ( Iі, Ѳѳ, Ѣѣ, Ѵѵ).
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Ukraine, Sumy Civil Registers collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you. (All rights reserved. Neither this image nor any part of it may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, electronic or otherwise, without written permission of the Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine.)
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these Ukraine records see the following guides:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Ukraine, Sumy Civil Registers.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select State
- Select Region/City
- Select Village/Town
- Select Date/Event/Volume to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Ukraine, Sumy Civil Registers, 1918-1922. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Tips to Keep in Mind[edit | edit source]
- A patronymic name is a middle name based on the given name of one's father. Patronymics are in use in many countries, including Ukraine and Russia
- The Poltava and Harkiv regions were part of the Sumy region before 1923, so as you browse through the images you will be choosing to search from those two, main locations
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have served in the same unit or a nearby unit
- You may need to search for both the Russian and Ukrainian spelling of your ancestor's name
- Be aware that there could be errors in writings and names spelling, so check for variant spellings of the names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ukraine.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Ukraine, Sumy Civil Registers, 1918-1922." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Citing Госархив Сумской Области, Сумской (Sumy Region State Archives, Sumy).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|