Turnham Green, Middlesex Genealogy
TURNHAM-GREEN [Christ Church, built by 1845], a hamlet, in the parish of Chiswick, union of Brentford, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 5 miles (W. by S.) from London. The great western road passes through. The village contains many handsome houses occupied by genteel families; it is lighted with gas, and supplied with water from the West London water-works. On the south side is the Horticultural Society's garden, the principal entrance to which is from the green here. A cruciform church in the early English style, with a handsome tower surmounted by a lofty spire, has lately been erected; it is a district church, and dedicated to Christ. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of London.From: 'Tunstead - Tuxford', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 401-404. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51357 Date accessed: 17 May 2010.
[See also CHISWICK (St. Nicholas) parish]