Thwaite (near Loddon), Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Thwaite (near Loddon), Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Thwaite (near Loddon), Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Loddon and Clavering|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
THWAITE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (N.) from Bungay. 
Thwaite St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Brooke deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
It should not be confused with the parish of Thwaite (near Alby), Norfolk.
Thwaite St Mary is a rural hamlet (and civil parish) in the county of Norfolk, Thwaite – sometimes pronounced ‘twayt’ by locals is a few miles north of the Suffolk Border.
The Norman church of St Mary is an active congregation in the diocese, in a rural area of farmland serving several isolated communities and settlements.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Thwaite (near Loddon) parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|THWAITE (NEAR LODDON) PARISH Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 544/ 1-6
Census records[edit | edit source]
See census transcript transcript of 1891 census+ Thwaite St Mary 1891
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Loddon and Clavering Union was incorporated under the terms of 'An Act for the better Relief and Employment of the Poor in the Hundreds of Loddon and Clavering, 4 Geo. III, cap. 90, 1764. A House of Industry was built at Heckingham and this was altered and enlarged in 1836 when it was adopted as the Union workhouse. Loddon and Clavering Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 13 in 1930.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 22 October 1984 (C/GP 12/1, 5-11 273-276), 31 October 2001 (ACC 2001/199 numbered C/GP 12/8), 26 August 1964 (C/GP 12/70), 31 October 2001 (ACC 2001/199 numbered C/GP 12/277-278), 4 June 2009 (ACC 2009/74 numbered C/GP 12/279) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP 12/1-7, 9-13, 15, 19, 22, 25-37, 39-41, 43-49, 51-54, 56-58, 60-77, 86, 89-100, 202-209, 211, 213, 215, 217, 219, 221-223, 250, 277-279 are available on microform.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 13, see C/GC 13.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Thwaite St Mary on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 355-357. Date accessed: 16 July 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014. Saint's dedication is not identified.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.