Texas, Various Counties, Military Discharge Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Texas, Various Counties, Military Discharge Records, 1916-1990
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Texas|
|Location of Texas|
|Record Type||Military Discharge|
|Texas State Library. Archives Division|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Military discharge records for the counties of Anderson, 1919-1947; Austin, 1918-1951; Bastrop, 1917-1943; Caldwell, 1918-1931; Colorado, 1890-1953, index 1919-1993; Ellis, 1919-1941, index 1919-1980; Falls, 1916-1919; Hood, 1918-1919; Llano, 1919-1943; Williamson, 1918-1945, index 1919-1946; and Wise, 1919-1939. More records may be added as they become available.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Date and place of discharge
- Date and place of enlistment
- Military Unit
- Marital Status
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Look for membership applications at the local American Legion Post
- Look for a published military unit history
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching in a nearby locality
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Texas.
- Texas Guided Research
- Texas Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
- Beginning United States World War I Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Anderson County Court Discharge Records, 1919-1947
- Austin County Court Discharge Soldiers ans Sailors, 1918-1951; index to Military Discharges, 1918-1990
- Bastrop County Court Discharge Records, 1917-1943
- Caldwell County Court Discharge Records, 1918-1931
- Colorado County Court Discharge records, 1890-1953; index, 1919-1993
- Ellis County Court Discharges, 1919-1941; index, 1919-1980
- Falls County Discharges of soldiers and sailors, 1916-1919
- Hood County Court Discharge records, 1918-1919
- Llano County Discharge records of soldiers and sailors, 1919-1943
- Williamson County Court Discharge records, 1918-1945; index, 1919-1946
- Wise County Court Discharge records, 1919-1939
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Texas, World War I Records, 1917-1920
- Texas, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1947
- United States, World War I Draft Registration Crads, 1917-1918.
- United States. Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- United States, Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946.
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- The Men and Women in the Armed Forces from Ellis County
- The Men and Women in the Armed Forces from Falls County
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.