Difference between revisions of "Stearns County, Minnesota Genealogy"
m (Text replacement - "'''Online Probate Records'''" to "''Online Probate Indexes and Records''")
m (→Websites: Broken link proj: removed link)
|Line 386:||Line 386:|
*[http://archives.stearns-museum.org Stearns History Museum Archives]
*[http://archives.stearns-museum.org Stearns History Museum Archives]
Revision as of 15:31, 14 April 2021
Guide to Stearns County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Stearns County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota, United States Genealogy
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|County Seat||St. Cloud|
|Address||Stearns County Courthouse|
705 Courthouse Sq
St. Cloud, MN 56303
Stearns County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.6 Funeral Homes
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Charles Thomas Stearns who was a member of the Territorial Council. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Stearns County, Minnesota Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Court Administrator has divorce, probate and court records.
County Recorder has land records.
License Center has birth, marriage and death records. 
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
- 1855--Stearns County was created 20 February 1855 from Cass, Nicollet, Pierce (Eliminated 20 Feb 1862), and Sibley Counties.
- County seat: St. Cloud 
- For a brief history of Stearns County's name, click here, then select Stearns County.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|MNGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|Tombstone Project||FamilySearch Places|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information, see Minnesota Church Records.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
- Benson Funeral Home - St. Cloud
- Daniel Funeral Homes - Clearwater, St. Cloud, St. Joseph, Sartell, Paynesville
- Patton-Schad Funeral & Cremation Service - Freeport, Grey Eagle, Melrose, Sauk Center
- Peterson-Johnson Funeral Home - Milaca
- Whispering Pines Funeral & Cremation Service - Walker
- Williams Dingmann Family Funeral Homes - Avon, Becker, Big Lake, Clear Lake, Eden Valley, Long Prairie, Princeton, St. Cloud, Sauk Rapids
Land[edit | edit source]
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Stearns – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Stearns County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- William Bell Mitchell, History of Stearns County, Minnesota. Chicago : H.C. Cooper, Jr., 1915
- Newton Horace Winchell, History of the Upper Mississippi Valley. Minneapolis: Minnesota Historical Co., 1881
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Civil War service men from Stearns County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Stearns County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company D.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D and E.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D and G.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company G
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company E.
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Minnesota, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1872-1962 - Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes, 1872-1962 at FamilySearch — index
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Newspapers available on microfilm at Stearns History Museum:
- St. Cloud Times, 1861-2011 (weekly and daily)
- Der Nordstern, 17 Feb 1876 - 27 Aug 1931 (1886 is missing)
Minnesota Historical Society - Digital Newspapers at MNHS.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Stearns County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records may include wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information. Online Probate Indexes and Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Since Minnesota tax records include only persons who owned taxable property, many residents were not included. Still they complement land records and can be used in place of missing censuses or the years between censuses. There may also be gaps. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Vital Records, or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Minnesota Vital Records.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1900-1934 Minnesota, Birth Index, 1900-1934 at MyHeritage($) — index
- 1900-1934 Minnesota Births, 1900-1934 at Minnesota Historical Society - free index, images ($)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2019 WEB: Minnesota, Marriages from the Minnesota Official Marriage System, 1850-2019 at Ancestry($) — index
- 1860 - 1949 Minnesota, County Marriages, 1860-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1976-2003 Minnesota, Marriages, 1976-2003 at MyHeritage($) — index
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2001 - Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1887-2001 - Minnesota Deaths, 1887-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1904-2001 Minnesota, Death Index, 1904-2001 at MyHeritage($) — index
- 1904-2001 Minnesota Deaths, 1904-2001 at Minnesota Historical Society - free index, images ($)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Albany Historical Society
Albany, MN 56307
Stearns County Historical Society
Stearns History Museum
235 33rd Ave S
Saint Cloud MN 56301-3752
Paynesville Historical Society
PO Box 35
Paynesville MN 56362
Kimball Area Historical Society
PO Box 100
Kimball MN 55353-0100
Telephone: 320-398-5250 or 1-800-252-2521
Melrose Area Historical Society
518 E 2nd St S
Melrose MN 56352-1414
Telephone: 320-256-4996 or 320 256-3933
Sauk Centre Area Historical Society
430 Main St S
Sauk Centre MN 56378-1509
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Stearns County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stearns_County,_Minnesota accessed 15 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stearns County, Minnesota. Page 362-370 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 362-365.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stearns County, Minnesota page 368, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Stearns County, Minnesota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stearns_County%2C_Minnesota, accessed 22 February 2020.