[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]
[[Image:Hepworth Parish Church Gateshead.jpg|thumb|right]]<br>
== Parish History ==
HEWORTH, NETHER, a '''chapelry,''' in the '''parish of Jarrow''', union of Gateshead, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 2¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Gateshead.
There are places of worship for '''Independents, Wesleyans of the Old and New Connexion, and Primitive Methodists'''.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51028#s22 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''], (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 11 December 2013. </ref>
St Mary's Church Heworth was an ancient chapelry in the parish of Jarrow. The earliest chapelry on the site can be dated circa 685 A.D. from the coins found in 1812 and believed to have been laid under the foundation stone of that chapel, built in the reign of King Ecgfrid who died in that year. A reference in 1214 to the chapel and other references prior to rebuilding in 1684. Subsequent enlargement took place in 1711 and the present church was built in 1822.
For parish history : [http://www.stmaryschurchheworth.com/ http://www.stmaryschurchheworth.com/]