[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]
== Parish History ==
Durham St Oswald is an ancient '''parish''' and includes Bear Park, Old Durham, Elvet and Broom within it's boundaries.
There are places of worship for the '''Society of Friends, Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics'''. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50932#s1 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''],( 1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 11 December 2013.</ref>
DURHAM, a '''city''', the '''capital '''of the county of Durham, and the '''head of a union''', 67 miles (E. S. E.) from Carlisle, 87 (N. E.) from Lancaster, 67 (N. W. by W.) from York. The city is surmounted by the '''cathedral '''and the remains of the ancient '''castle''', together with other ecclesiastical residences. The '''college''' was established at the same time as the university. The city comprises several '''parishes: St. Giles (1584), St. Mary Le Bow (1571), St. Mary-the-less (1560), St. Nicholas' (1540), St. Oswald's (1538), St. Margaret's (1557)''', as well as '''The (Durham) Cathedral (1609)'''. The parish of Durham St Oswald's also includes the village and chapelry of '''Shincliffe''' (1826) and part of the chapelry of '''Croxdale''' (1696) [see also Merrington Parish]. The chapelries of '''Belmont''' and '''St Cuthbert''' were built respectively in the years 1858 and 1863 both of which also stood within the boundary of Durham ancient parish.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.