Spain, Province of La Coruña, Municipal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Spain, Province of La Coruña, Municipal Records, 1648-1941
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|La Coruña, Spain|
|Flag of the Kingdom of Spain|
|Location of La Coruña, Spain|
|Location of Spain|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Municipales de la Provincia de La Coruña, España|
|Ayuntamiento de A Coruña|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes civil registration, census, military records, and other miscellaneous records for the cities and parishes of Betanzos, Ferrol, and La Coruña in the province of La Coruña from 1648-1941.
For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Spain, Municipal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
This collection is being published as images become available.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these Spanish records see the following guides:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Spain, Province of La Coruña, Municipal Records, 1648-1941.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Draft registrations and enlistments
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see Spain, Municipal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select City or Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Spain, Province of La Coruña, Municipal Records, 1648-1941. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
What If I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- A boundary change could have occurred that changed where records were kept. If you are unable to find your ancestor(s) in these civil registers, then try searching in the areas surrounding La Coruña. These provinces neighbor La Coruña:
- Church records are also a good substitute when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found or are unavailable
- Or your ancestor immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or immigration/emigration records:
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Record Finder[edit | edit source]
Consult the Spain Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"España, Provincia de La Coruña, registros municipales, 1648-1941." Database and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Archivos municipales, La Coruña (municipal archives, La Coruña).
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|