Difference between revisions of "South Kilvington, Yorkshire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replace - "'''AO" to "'''IARC")
(infobox)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Yorkshire]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Yorkshire Parishes, S-Y]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[North Riding of Yorkshire Parishes|North Riding]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] South Kilvington  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Yorkshire]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Yorkshire Parishes, S-Y]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[North Riding of Yorkshire Parishes|North Riding]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] South Kilvington  
 +
{{Infobox England Jurisdictions
 +
| image = St Wilfred South Kilvington Yorkshire.jpg
 +
| caption =
 +
| Type = [[Ancient Parish]]
 +
| County = Yorkshire
 +
| Hundred = Birdforth
 +
| Poor Law Union = Thirsk
 +
| Registration District = Thirsk
 +
| PRbegin = 1572
 +
| BTbegin = 1600
 +
| Province = York
 +
| Diocese = York
 +
| Archdeaconry =
 +
| Archdeaconries =
 +
| Rural Deanery = Bulmer
 +
| Parish =
 +
| Peculiar =
 +
| Chapelry =
 +
| Probate Court = Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
 +
| Archdeaconry Court =
 +
| Bishops Court =
 +
| Prerogative Court =
 +
| Archive = [[Yorkshire Record Office]]
 +
}}
  
[[Image:St Wilfred South Kilvington Yorkshire.jpg|thumb|right|St Wilfred South Kilvington Yorkshire.jpg]]
+
=== Parish History  ===
 
 
== Parish History  ==
 
  
 
<br>South Kilvington St Wilfrid is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Other places in the parish include: Thornborough, Thornbrough, Upsall near Thirsk, Upsall, and Upsail.  
 
<br>South Kilvington St Wilfrid is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Other places in the parish include: Thornborough, Thornbrough, Upsall near Thirsk, Upsall, and Upsail.  
Line 11: Line 33:
 
A small round-headed window in the south wall points to the 12thcentury origin of the fabric, but this window is the only detail remaining of the date, unless the rear arch of the south-west window is earlier than its monial. The earlier of the other windows date from about 1260, when the chancel was probably rebuilt. The porch is comparatively modern.  
 
A small round-headed window in the south wall points to the 12thcentury origin of the fabric, but this window is the only detail remaining of the date, unless the rear arch of the south-west window is earlier than its monial. The earlier of the other windows date from about 1260, when the chancel was probably rebuilt. The porch is comparatively modern.  
  
The 13th-century east window is of three trefoiled lights, over which are three quatrefoils but no containing arch. The two windows in the south wall are contemporary, and are each of two trefoiled lights (the middle foil quite small) with a quatrefoil over. The window in the north wall is a modern copy of these. The piscina in the south wall has apparently been retooled and may be as early as the windows, though the basin is modern; the head was probably trefoiled. The chancel arch has been rebuilt. The lower parts of the jambs are modern, the upper parts are old, and apparently the old bases of the semi-octagonal responds have been raised. The capitals are of a coarse section and probably of 15th-century date. The two-centred drop arch is of two chamfered orders.  
+
The 13th-century east window is of three trefoil-ed lights, over which are three qua-trefoils but no containing arch. The two windows in the south wall are contemporary, and are each of two trefoil-ed lights (the middle foil quite small) with a qua-trefoil over. The window in the north wall is a modern copy of these. The piscina in the south wall has apparently been retooled and may be as early as the windows, though the basin is modern; the head was probably trefoil-ed. The chancel arch has been rebuilt. The lower parts of the jambs are modern, the upper parts are old, and apparently the old bases of the semi-octagonal responds have been raised. The capitals are of a coarse section and probably of 15th-century date. The two-centered drop arch is of two chamfered orders.  
  
The only window in the north wall of the nave and the first of those in the south are similar to those of the chancel. The second window from the east in the south wall of the nave is the 12th-century light already mentioned. The jambs and head have a continuous internal splay. The south doorway has jambs of a sunk quarter-round order, like those of the windows, and a two-centred drop arch. East of it is a holy water stoup with a large projecting basin and a plain ogee head. The south-west window has a wood frame dividing it into two ogee-headed lights, and a plastered half-round rear arch difficult to date. The north doorway has a round head and is moulded with a sunk quarter-round. The west window is of two trefoiled lights under a square head; it was probably inserted in the 15th century, but the head looks like a modern restoration. In the west wall near the south angle outside is a shallow trefoiled niche.  
+
The only window in the north wall of the nave and the first of those in the south are similar to those of the chancel. The second window from the east in the south wall of the nave is the 12th-century light already mentioned. The jambs and head have a continuous internal splay. The south doorway has jambs of a sunk quarter-round order, like those of the windows, and a two-centered drop arch. East of it is a holy water stoup with a large projecting basin and a plain ogee head. The south-west window has a wood frame dividing it into two ogee-headed lights, and a plastered half-round rear arch difficult to date. The north doorway has a round head and is molded with a sunk quarter-round. The west window is of two trefoiled lights under a square head; it was probably inserted in the 15th century, but the head looks like a modern restoration. In the west wall near the south angle outside is a shallow trefoiled niche.  
  
 
Over the roof at the west end is a plain wood bellturret with a pyramidal roof; it contains two bells, one with no inscription and the other, which is cracked, is inscribed 'Jesus be our speed 1695, E.G., C.W.,' but with no maker's mark; both are of the same note. The south porch is modern or of the late 18th century; all the walls are cemented outside and plastered inside. The roofs have flat plaster ceilings.  
 
Over the roof at the west end is a plain wood bellturret with a pyramidal roof; it contains two bells, one with no inscription and the other, which is cracked, is inscribed 'Jesus be our speed 1695, E.G., C.W.,' but with no maker's mark; both are of the same note. The south porch is modern or of the late 18th century; all the walls are cemented outside and plastered inside. The roofs have flat plaster ceilings.  
Line 19: Line 41:
 
The font dates from the latter part of the 15th century; it is of grey marble and is octagonal in plan with concave sides. On the base are squares inscribed 'Dñs Thom[a]s le Scrōp et Elizabeth uxor ejus,' referring to Thomas Lord Scrope, who married Elizabeth Nevill and died in 1494. On the sides of the bowl are shields with Scrope heraldry.  
 
The font dates from the latter part of the 15th century; it is of grey marble and is octagonal in plan with concave sides. On the base are squares inscribed 'Dñs Thom[a]s le Scrōp et Elizabeth uxor ejus,' referring to Thomas Lord Scrope, who married Elizabeth Nevill and died in 1494. On the sides of the bowl are shields with Scrope heraldry.  
  
There is a large amount of modern carved furniture in the church, including a very large organ; much of the carving was done by the present rector, the Rev. W. T. Kingsley, who has held the living since 1859. Two old pieces of panelled work have been adapted in a chair in the chancel. At the west end are still remaining some 18th-century box pews, and at the east end is a large late 17th-century square pew. In the east window tracery is some old stained glass, including a shield with the arms of Upsall and Mauleverer. There are a few other fragments, chiefly of canopy work, in the north window of the chancel and in the west window. In the chancel are the fragments of a 13th-century cross.  
+
There is a large amount of modern carved furniture in the church, including a very large organ; much of the carving was done by the present rector, the Rev. W. T. Kingsley, who has held the living since 1859. Two old pieces of paneled work have been adapted in a chair in the chancel. At the west end are still remaining some 18th-century box pews, and at the east end is a large late 17th-century square pew. In the east window tracery is some old stained glass, including a shield with the arms of Upsall and Mauleverer. There are a few other fragments, chiefly of canopy work, in the north window of the chancel and in the west window. In the chancel are the fragments of a 13th-century cross.  
  
 
The plate includes a silver cup, bearing the Newcastle mark of 1760, a silver paten, bearing the Newcastle mark of 1814, presented by the Rev. John Green, rector, and a brass almsdish of Nuremberg manufacture.  
 
The plate includes a silver cup, bearing the Newcastle mark of 1760, a silver paten, bearing the Newcastle mark of 1814, presented by the Rev. John Green, rector, and a brass almsdish of Nuremberg manufacture.  
Line 31: Line 53:
 
KILVINGTON, SOUTH (St. Wilfrid), '''a parish''', in the poor-law union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York; comprising the townships of South Kilvington, Thornbrough, and Upsall; and containing 402 inhabitants, of whom 277 are in the township of South Kilvington, l¼ mile (N.) from Thirsk. <ref>Samuel A. Lewis,'' [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51076  A Topographical Dictionary of England] ''(1848), pp. 674-677. Date accessed: 16 October 2013.</ref>  
 
KILVINGTON, SOUTH (St. Wilfrid), '''a parish''', in the poor-law union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York; comprising the townships of South Kilvington, Thornbrough, and Upsall; and containing 402 inhabitants, of whom 277 are in the township of South Kilvington, l¼ mile (N.) from Thirsk. <ref>Samuel A. Lewis,'' [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51076  A Topographical Dictionary of England] ''(1848), pp. 674-677. Date accessed: 16 October 2013.</ref>  
  
== Resources  ==
+
=== Resources  ===
  
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
Line 58: Line 80:
 
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" align="center"
 
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" align="center"
 
|-
 
|-
! bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="7" scope="col" | '''SOUTH KILVINGTON PARISH (1744) Online Records'''
+
! bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" scope="col" colspan="7" | '''SOUTH KILVINGTON PARISH (1744) Online Records'''
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | <br>  
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | <br>  
Line 95: Line 117:
 
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | <br>  
 
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | <br>  
 
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None<br>  
 
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None<br>  
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <br>
+
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <br>  
 
+
<br>
  
 
|}
 
|}
Line 104: Line 126:
 
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use [http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.  
 
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use [http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.  
  
 
+
<br>
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 118: Line 140:
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Yorkshire Probate Records|Yorkshire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Yorkshire Probate Records|Yorkshire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers ==
  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
Line 125: Line 147:
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
  
== Websites ==
+
== Websites ==
  
 
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}  
 
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}  
  
== References ==
+
== References ==
  
{{reflist}} {{Yorkshire}}
+
{{reflist}} {{Yorkshire}}  
  
 
[[Category:Yorkshire]] [[Category:North_Riding_of_Yorkshire_Parishes]]
 
[[Category:Yorkshire]] [[Category:North_Riding_of_Yorkshire_Parishes]]

Revision as of 09:36, 4 June 2014

England Genealogy Gotoarrow.png Yorkshire, England GenealogyGotoarrow.png Yorkshire Parishes S-Y Gotoarrow.png North Riding Gotoarrow.png South Kilvington

South Kilvington, Yorkshire
St Wilfred South Kilvington Yorkshire.jpg
Type England Jurisdictions
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Birdforth
County Yorkshire, England Genealogy
Poor Law Union Thirsk
Registration District Thirsk
Records begin
Parish registers: 1572
Bishop's Transcripts: 1600
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Bulmer
Diocese York
Province York
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Location of Archive
Yorkshire Record Office

Parish History[edit | edit source]


South Kilvington St Wilfrid is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Other places in the parish include: Thornborough, Thornbrough, Upsall near Thirsk, Upsall, and Upsail.

The church of ST. WILFRID consists of a chancel measuring internally 28 ft. 4 in. by 17 ft. 11 in., nave 44 ft. 1 in. by 17 ft. 7 in. and south porch.

A small round-headed window in the south wall points to the 12thcentury origin of the fabric, but this window is the only detail remaining of the date, unless the rear arch of the south-west window is earlier than its monial. The earlier of the other windows date from about 1260, when the chancel was probably rebuilt. The porch is comparatively modern.

The 13th-century east window is of three trefoil-ed lights, over which are three qua-trefoils but no containing arch. The two windows in the south wall are contemporary, and are each of two trefoil-ed lights (the middle foil quite small) with a qua-trefoil over. The window in the north wall is a modern copy of these. The piscina in the south wall has apparently been retooled and may be as early as the windows, though the basin is modern; the head was probably trefoil-ed. The chancel arch has been rebuilt. The lower parts of the jambs are modern, the upper parts are old, and apparently the old bases of the semi-octagonal responds have been raised. The capitals are of a coarse section and probably of 15th-century date. The two-centered drop arch is of two chamfered orders.

The only window in the north wall of the nave and the first of those in the south are similar to those of the chancel. The second window from the east in the south wall of the nave is the 12th-century light already mentioned. The jambs and head have a continuous internal splay. The south doorway has jambs of a sunk quarter-round order, like those of the windows, and a two-centered drop arch. East of it is a holy water stoup with a large projecting basin and a plain ogee head. The south-west window has a wood frame dividing it into two ogee-headed lights, and a plastered half-round rear arch difficult to date. The north doorway has a round head and is molded with a sunk quarter-round. The west window is of two trefoiled lights under a square head; it was probably inserted in the 15th century, but the head looks like a modern restoration. In the west wall near the south angle outside is a shallow trefoiled niche.

Over the roof at the west end is a plain wood bellturret with a pyramidal roof; it contains two bells, one with no inscription and the other, which is cracked, is inscribed 'Jesus be our speed 1695, E.G., C.W.,' but with no maker's mark; both are of the same note. The south porch is modern or of the late 18th century; all the walls are cemented outside and plastered inside. The roofs have flat plaster ceilings.

The font dates from the latter part of the 15th century; it is of grey marble and is octagonal in plan with concave sides. On the base are squares inscribed 'Dñs Thom[a]s le Scrōp et Elizabeth uxor ejus,' referring to Thomas Lord Scrope, who married Elizabeth Nevill and died in 1494. On the sides of the bowl are shields with Scrope heraldry.

There is a large amount of modern carved furniture in the church, including a very large organ; much of the carving was done by the present rector, the Rev. W. T. Kingsley, who has held the living since 1859. Two old pieces of paneled work have been adapted in a chair in the chancel. At the west end are still remaining some 18th-century box pews, and at the east end is a large late 17th-century square pew. In the east window tracery is some old stained glass, including a shield with the arms of Upsall and Mauleverer. There are a few other fragments, chiefly of canopy work, in the north window of the chancel and in the west window. In the chancel are the fragments of a 13th-century cross.

The plate includes a silver cup, bearing the Newcastle mark of 1760, a silver paten, bearing the Newcastle mark of 1814, presented by the Rev. John Green, rector, and a brass almsdish of Nuremberg manufacture.

The registers begin in 1572.

The churchyard is partly bounded by a yew hedge.

From A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2 (1923), pp. 40-43. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.u/report.aspx?compid=64606&strquery=South Kilvington Date accessed: 14 May 2011

KILVINGTON, SOUTH (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the poor-law union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York; comprising the townships of South Kilvington, Thornbrough, and Upsall; and containing 402 inhabitants, of whom 277 are in the township of South Kilvington, l¼ mile (N.) from Thirsk. [1]

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records[edit | edit source]

Online Records[edit | edit source]

Online data content from parish registers of South Kilvington exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:

IARC = Archive.org
FS = FamilySearch.org
ANC = ancestry.co.uk (£)
HATH = HathiTrust.org
JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk
SOUTH KILVINGTON PARISH (1744) Online Records

Baptisms
Marriages
Burials

Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS 1744-1860

1744-1846, 1860

None

JOIN None

None

None

AC None

None

None


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding **Chapelry** and comprising the whole ancient parish of South Kilvington to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the South Kilvington page.

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.


Census records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Thirsk Poor Law Union, Yorkshire Genealogy

Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 674-677. Date accessed: 16 October 2013.