Shenstone, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Shenstone, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Lichfield|
|Parish registers: 1579|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1653|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Shenstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Catshill, Chesterfield, Lynn, Little Aston, Little Hay, and Fotherley. SHENSTONE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Lichfield. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births marriages and deaths. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Shenstone parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|SHENSTONE PARISH (1579) Online Records|
|FREG||1579-1610, 1655-1934||1579-1610, 1655-1928||1579-1610, 1655-1928|
There are no records for the period 1611-1654. Bishops Transcripts only survive from 1653 onwards.
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Shenstone, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 69-74. Date accessed: 05 November 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8