Difference between revisions of "Seaham, Durham Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with '= Parish History = The parish of Seaham was created from the ancient Parish of Dalton le Dale and has a Norman church. The dedication of the church was changed from that of St A…')
 
Line 3: Line 3:
 
The parish of Seaham was created from the ancient Parish of Dalton le Dale and has a Norman church. The dedication of the church was changed from that of St Andrew to St Mary the Virgin and the parish became known as Seaham Harbour. There are references to the church dating back to 1501 although the building shows signs of much earlier construction.  
 
The parish of Seaham was created from the ancient Parish of Dalton le Dale and has a Norman church. The dedication of the church was changed from that of St Andrew to St Mary the Virgin and the parish became known as Seaham Harbour. There are references to the church dating back to 1501 although the building shows signs of much earlier construction.  
  
= Parish Records =
+
= Parish Records =
  
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/2/220 1769-1850Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search.  
+
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/2/220 1769-1850 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search.  
  
 
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.  
 
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.  
  
 
The Parish Registers for the period 1646-1967 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sea). <br>
 
The Parish Registers for the period 1646-1967 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sea). <br>

Revision as of 06:33, 14 October 2009

Parish History[edit | edit source]

The parish of Seaham was created from the ancient Parish of Dalton le Dale and has a Norman church. The dedication of the church was changed from that of St Andrew to St Mary the Virgin and the parish became known as Seaham Harbour. There are references to the church dating back to 1501 although the building shows signs of much earlier construction.

Parish Records[edit | edit source]

Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/2/220 1769-1850 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search.

The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.

The Parish Registers for the period 1646-1967 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Sea).