|Saskatchewan Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Resources for Saskatchewan Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Newspaper Directories[edit | edit source]
- Christine MacDonald.Historical directory of Saskatchewan newspapers, 1878-1983. Regina: Saskatchewan Archives Board, 1984.
- Albert-O. Dubé. La voix du peuple: l’histoire populaire de la presse écrite fransaskoise. Regina: Société historique de la Saskatchewan, 1993.
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
Regina location Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan:
Saskatchewan Archives Board - Regina Office University of Regina 3303 Hillsdale Street ! NOTE moving to 2440 Broad Street ! Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1665 Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 3C6 Telephone: 306-787-4068
CLOSED Saskatchewan Archives Board - Saskatoon Office All branches of the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan are now located in the City of Regina
This is the best source for newspapers; The weeklies on microfilm are available on interlibrary loan.
The Saskatchewan Archives Board has weekly newspapers dating from 1878, and their collection is complete from 1943. These newspapers may contain information concerning births, marriages, and deaths. For events occurring prior to 1888 in Saskatchewan, they may be the only source of information. The archives have a selective index to obituaries (1930-1965). Other old newspapers can be found in Saskatchewan Provincial or Legislative Libraries, or in local archives. Many of these are also indexed.
Digital Issues Online[edit | edit source]
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Saskatchewan Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
- Laura Hanowski and John Marley. Births, deaths, marriages from Regina newspapers, 1883-1889. Regina: Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, 1990.
- Laura Hanowski and John Marley.Births, deaths, marriages from Regina newspapers, 1890-1899. Regina: Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, 1990.
- Saskatoon newspaper index, birth, death, and marriages, 1902-1907. Saskatoon: Saskatoon Branch, Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, 1996.
There is a lengthy list of published indexes including papers in Craik, Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert, Biggar, Landis in Laura Hanowski’s Tracing your Saskatchewan ancestors: a guide to the records and how to use them (Regina: Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, 2000).
Saskatchewan News Index[edit | edit source]
The Saskatchewan News Index is a searchable index of stories published in Saskatchewan newspapers 1884-2000.
The Regina Public Library’s index begins 1992. There are paper indexes at the Saskatchewan Archives Board for obituaries, 1930-1976.
The Saskatchewan Genealogical Society collects obituaries which in 2001 numbered 700,000 names. They are also indexing birth, marriage and death notices from provincial newspapers. For details see their Bulletin (December 2001 issue).
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- de Groot, Susanna, "Canada Historical Newspapers Bibliographies (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Canada_Historical_Newspapers_Bibliographies_%28National_Institute%29.
- Taylor, Ryan, "Obtaining Canada Newspaper Resources (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Obtaining_Canada_Newspaper_Resources_%28National_Institute%29.
- Taylor, Ryan, "Canada Newspaper Indexes and Abstracts (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Canada_Newspaper_Indexes_and_Abstracts_%28National_Institute%29.