Difference between revisions of "Rockland St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy"
|Line 168:||Line 168:|
Revision as of 15:12, 10 January 2016
Guide to Rockland St Mary, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Rockland St Mary, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Henstead|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ROCKLAND (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 5½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Norwich. 
Rockland St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Brooke Deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Rockland St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Rockland St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 256/1-10.
In the general register of births marriages and deaths images available there is a known issue in the omission of images for the period 1747-1750. If you are seeking this image pending consideration of a technical resolution of a problem please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance by using feedback on the site.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/RocklandStMaryAndHolverstone.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Henstead/Henstead.shtml
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Rockland St Mary on GenUKI
- Rockland St Mary on A Church Near You
- Bramerton Group Benefice for churches in the parish
- Rockland St Mary on Literary Norfolk
- Rockland St Mary wherry graveyard references
- Church of St Mary Rockland on British Listed buildings
- Rockland St Mary on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 686-690. Date accessed: 13 May 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.