Rhode Island, United States Genealogy
Guide to Rhode Island genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records
|Rhode Island Wiki Topics|
|Rhode Island Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Most unique genealogical features:
- RI records are kept on the town level.
- RI had more religious diversity and churches than most colonies.
- Large number of family histories.
- Using Arnold's Vital Records of Rhode Island—In Print and Online Guide.
|How to Find Information about Rhode Island Ancestors|
Counties[edit | edit source]
Extinct or Renamed Jurisdictions: Dominion of New England Genealogy · Massachusetts Bay Colony Genealogy · New Netherland Genealogy · King's · Plymouth Colony Genealogy · Providence Plantations Genealogy · Rhode Island
Major Repositories[edit | edit source]
Rhode Island State Archives (Wiki Page) · Rhode Island State Archives (Online Catalog) · Rhode Island Historical Society · Newport Historical Society · Brown University Rockefeller Library · Providence Public Library · Archives at the Judicial Records Center · National Archives at Boston · New England Historic Genealogical Society
Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
Featured Content[edit | edit source]
The state is called Rhode Island in common usage, but most of the state lies on the North American mainland. Providence Plantations refers to the mainland, while Rhode Island is actually the unofficial name for Aquidneck Island (now composed of the city of Newport, and the towns of Middletown and Portsmouth). From 1524 Italian, Dutch West India Company and British Rule of area.
Did you know?[edit | edit source]
- Before 1900 the largest religious groups in Rhode Island were the Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, Protestant
- Colonial censuses (or similar lists of names) exist for 1747 to 1754, 1774, and 1782. These generally name the head of the household and the number of persons in the family.
Research Tools[edit | edit source]
- Rhode Island County Creation Dates and Parent Counties
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Rhode Island Genealogy - Guide to Ancestry information on ordering vital records, city and government links, history and facts of counties, printable genealogy forms, list of archives and societies, genealogical terms, and lookup volunteers
- The Rhode Island GenWeb Project provides county information about formation date, parent county, county seat, bibliography, cemeteries, census, churches, towns, history, look ups, obituaries, queries, repositories, surname registry, and many Internet links.
- Rotating Formation Rhode Island County Boundary Maps and Atlases
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Rhode Island Genealogy, extensive directory of many Rhode Island records
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Rhode Island Births and Christenings - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Rhode Island Deaths and Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Rhode Island 1885 State Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Rhode Island 1905 State Census (FamilySearch historical Records)
- Rhode Island, State Census, 1915 - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Rhode Island, State Census, 1925 - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Rhode Island 1935 State Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Obtain additional help[edit | edit source]
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Things you can do[edit | edit source]
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here: