Difference between revisions of "Redmarshall, Durham Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
m (fixed link)
Line 29: Line 29:
 
The Parish Registers for the period 1574-1977 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Pi).  
 
The Parish Registers for the period 1574-1977 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Pi).  
  
FamilySearch Historical Records includes [[England Durham Marriage Bonds and Allegations (FamilySearch Collection)]]  
+
FamilySearch Historical Records includes [[England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allegations (FamilySearch Historical Records)]]
  
 
===== Non Conformist Churches =====
 
===== Non Conformist Churches =====

Revision as of 18:25, 26 September 2011

England Genealogy Gotoarrow.png Durham, England Genealogy

Redmarshall St Cuthbert

Parish History[edit | edit source]

Redmarshall St Cuthbert is an Ancient Parish in the county of Durham.  Stillington, Durham Genealogy and Carlton, Durham Genealogy are chapelries in Redmarshall.
"The Church, an ancient stone structure, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, consists of nave with small southern porch, chancel with south transept or "Claxton Porch," and a fine massive western tower. The more ancient portions appear to date from the Norman period, the Claxton Porch being added in the fourteenth century as a chantry. The very interesting sedilia on the south side of the chancel and the large arch on the north appear also of this date. The Claxton porch contains two remarkable figures in alabaster, representing Thomas Langton of Wynyard, 1417, and Sybil his wife. The work is of high character, but both figures are much defaced."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]

RED-MARSHALL (St. Cuthbert), a parish, partly in the union of Stockton, and partly in that of Sedgefield, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham; containing, with the chapelries of Carleton and Stillington, 272 inhabitants, of whom 48 are in Red-Marshall township, 4½ miles (W. N. W.) from Stockton. This place anciently belonged to the see of Durham, and was given by Bishop Anthony Beck to his brother John, baron of Eresby in Lincolnshire, who sold it to the Moultons, from whom it passed in the 14th century to the Lisles and Langtons. Since that time the families of Claxton, Morley, Place, Bromley, Spearman, and Vane, have, with others, held property here. The parish comprises 3358a. 19p., of which 956 acres are in the township; of the latter, 693 are arable, 244 pasture, 9 wood, and 4 common and roads: the surface is slightly undulated, and the soil clay, producing chiefly wheat. The Clarence railway passes through the township of Carleton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 18. 1½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Durham: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £377, with a glebe of 6½ acres; and £56. 7. are paid to Sherburn Hospital. The church has a Norman arch leading into the chancel: on the south side are three stone stalls, opposite to which is an arched recess; and in the south porch are two recumbent figures, supposed to represent a male and female of the family of Claxton. The rectory-house appears to have been once fortified; an embattled tower was lately remaining, but it has been modernised.

From: 'Rede - Reeth', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 652-655. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51234 Date accessed: 27 March 2011.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records[edit | edit source]

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections Reference number: DDR/EA/PBT/2/209 Date: 1770-1854  Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Family Search Historical Records.

The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.

The Parish Registers for the period 1574-1977 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Pi).

FamilySearch Historical Records includes England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allegations - FamilySearch Historical Records

Non Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]

Census records[edit | edit source]

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Stockton Poor Law Union, Durham Genealogy

Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Durham Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites[edit | edit source]

Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.