Providence Rhode Island Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Special closures 2020
- 3 LAST MINUTE CHANGES AND CANCELLATIONS
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Location Map: Location Map
Address: 1000 Narragansett Pkwy, Warwick, RI 02888-4713
- Park in back parking lot of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Go up the steps and enter through back door. Center is on your left. You may also use the handicap entrance (on your left from the parking lot). However, the door is usually locked, so you need to call us to ask us to let you in.
Phone: 401 463-8150
- Wednesday: noon-9:00 pm
- Thursday: 10:00 am-2:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am-2:00 pm
Please note that if no patrons are in the library one half hour before closing, the center may close early. In severe weather conditions, check below under last minute changes and cancellations to see if we are closed. Also, as we often have only one volunteer on a shift, if that person is ill, we might have to close for that day. So you might want to check for last minute changes and cancellations routinely, especially if you're driving a long distance.
Special closures 2020[edit | edit source]
June 13, November 25, 26, 28.
The Family History Center will be closed for the month of August 2020.
Christmas break: the Center closes at 2 pm on Saturday, December 19, and reopens at 10 am on Saturday, January 2, 2021.
LAST MINUTE CHANGES AND CANCELLATIONS[edit | edit source]
Notice: due to current health concerns, the Providence Family History Center is closed until further notice.
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center may have some films available through the Family Search Catalog that are not already online at familysearch.org. Family Search is working very hard to put all microfilms online by the end of 2020.
- Book Collection: -- Canada Drouin Collection, The Famine Immigrants (Ireland), many volumes of Our French-Canadian Ancestors, 3 volumes of the Royal Ancestry Bible, and many books on various countries. Plus how-to-search specific countries.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This center has computers with the portal, which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. When you research on your computer at home, you may encounter records that you cannot view unless you go to a Family History Center, as the owner of those records has made that stipulation. Through the FHC Portal on the computers at the center, you are able to access those records.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
5 computers for online research, 2 microfilm readers, microfilm scanner to print or save to flash drive, copy machine/printer.[edit | edit source]
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Wednesdays 12-2:30 pm Elaine can help in researching Italy and reading microfilm documents, as well as with online research and help using familysearch.org. Tom 12 - 5:30 and can help with familysearch.org and in researching ancestors.
Carol (some Saturdays 10-2) and Wendy (Thursdays 10-2) have volunteered in the family history center for many years and are knowledgeable in researching in many areas.
Barbara (some Saturdays 10-2) can also help with Italian research, and Bob (Wednesdays 5:30-9) can help in various ways.
PLEASE NOTE: Although we are happy to help patrons in any way we can, we are not professional genealogists. We are all volunteers who have some experience in researching, usually just our own lines, and are therefore not always knowledgeable about all aspects of researching. We are there to help you get started on doing your own research, but we cannot do your research for you. Also, if the Center is busy and several patrons need help, we do our best to help each patron, but helping people for extended periods of time is impossible. If you are stuck, please do not hesitate to ask a quick question of a staff member who is busy helping another patron, but please do not be offended if we cannot give you undivided attention. Thank you for your understanding.
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
John Carter Brown Library, Brown University, 94 George St., Providence, RI 02906, 401 863-2725.
New England Historic Genealogical Society, 99-101 Newbury St., Boston, MA 02163, 617 536-5740
Providence City Archives, 25 Dorrance St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 421-7740
Providence Public Library, 150 Empire St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 455-8000
Providence Public Library, Rhode Island Collection, 225 Washington St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 405-8005
Rhode Island Department of Health, Office of Vital Records, 3 Capitol Hill, Room 101, Providence, RI 02908, 401 222-2811
Rhode island Genealogical Society, Box 211, Hope, RI 02831
Rhode Island Historical Society Library, 121 Hope St., Providence, RI 02906, 401 273-8107
Rhode Island Judicial Records Center, 5 Hill St., Pawtucket, RI 02860, 401 721-2640
Rhode Island State Archives, 337 Westminster St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 222-2353
Rhode Island Black Heritage Society, Arcade Building, Suite 65, Weybosset Street, Providence, RI 02903, 401 751-3490
American-French Genealogical Society, PO Box 830, 78 Earle St., Woonsocket, RI 02895, 401 765-6141
National Archives and Records Administration, Northeast Region (Boston), 380 Trapelo Rd, Waltham, MA 02452, 781 663-0130
Diocese of Providence, 1 Cathedral Square, Providence, RI 02903, 401 278-4546
Newport Historical Society, 82 Touro St., Newport, RI 02840, 401 846-0813
Supreme Court Law Library, 250 Benefit Street, Providence, RI 02903, 401 222-3275
United States Naval War College, 686 Cushing Road, Newport, RI 02841, 401 841-1140
Connecticut State Library, History and Genealogy Unit, 231 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06106, 860 757-6500
Links[edit | edit source]
- Supreme Court Law Library Supreme Court Judicial Records Center, Naturalization and Court Records