Pennsylvania, United States Genealogy
|Pennsylvania Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Pennsylvania ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Pennsylvania Information[edit | edit source]
Pennsylvania is a state located in the northern part of the United States. The capital is Harrisburg and it is divided into 67 counties. Pennsylvania was the 2nd state to ratify the Constitution on 12 Dec 1787. It was taken from the Province of Pennsylvania, then the Sovereign State in Confederation. 
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Pennsylvania Research
Links to articles on getting started with Pennsylvania research.
Pennsylvania Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Pennsylvania research.
Pennsylvania Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties[edit | edit source]
Pennsylvania Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
Beaver and Erie Canal · Bethlehem Pike · Braddock's Road · Burd's Road · Canada Road · Centre Turnpike · Culbertson's Path · Cumberland Road · Delaware River · Fall Line Road · Forbes Road · Gist's Trace · Great Indian Warpath · Great Island Path · Great Shamokin Path · Great Trail · Great Valley Road · King's Highway · Kittanning Path · Lake Erie · Lake Shore Path · Lehigh and Lackawanna Paths · Memacolinis Path · Minsi Path · National Road · Ohio River · Pennsylvania Road · Philadelphia Lancaster Turnpike · Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road · Philadelphia Wagon Road · Pennsylvania Railroad · Schuylkill Canal · Southern Road · Tuscarora Path · Union Canal · Venango Path
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- Cyndi's List - Pennsylvania genealogy sites on the internet
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Pennsylvania
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Pennsylvania
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Pennsylvania genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- FamilyHart Pennsylvania Dutch Online Database This online family database has the largest collection of Pennsylvania Dutch names on the Internet with free access. It currently has over 719,000 names online. It grows by 1,000 names per week, and is updated online quarterly.
- Pennsylvania Archives Volumes from the Pennsylvania Secretary of the Commonwealth, First though Seventh Series.
- Harry Senft York and Adams County Cemetery Pictures This site has 100s of 1000s of headstone pictures from over 200 cemeteries in York, Adams, and Cumberland Counties. Indexing of these headstone pictures is currently taking place. Map links are also included for easy finding of these cemeteries.
- The Israel Daniel Rupp Collection of 30,000 early Pennsylvania immigrants from 1727-1776 is online at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) is the official history agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Guide to the Published Pennsylvania Archives
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 31 Oct 2016.