Pelsall, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Pelsall, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Walsall|
|Parish registers: 1756|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1799|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of Wolverhampton; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Pelsall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1766 from chapelry in Wolverhampton St Peter, Staffordshire Ancient Parish.
PELSALL, a township, in the parish of Wolverhampton, union of Walsall, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3¼ miles (N.) from Walsall. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Pelsall St Michael and All Angels formed 1766 from a former chapelry to Wolverhampton St Peter, Staffordshire
Pelsall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|PELSALL ST MICHAEL AND ALL THE ANGELS PARISH (1746) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap about 1746 -1997 Mar 1849-1993 Bur about 1746-1997
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1799-1839 Mar none Bur 1799-1839
High Heath Primitive Methodist Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HIGH HEATH PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (1893) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Pelsall, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law UnionsEdit
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 542-545. Date accessed: 01 November 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 September 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8