Open main menu

Opeongo Line

Canada Emigration and Immigration Gotoarrow.png Opeongo Line


The Opeongo Road (also known as Opeongo Line) was one of the initial colonization roads surveyed by William Bell in 1847. It was constructed westward from Renfrew beginning in 1854, reaching as far as the Hastings Road in Whitney by 1865; thereafter the survey line continued to Opeongo Lake.[13] Today, Highway 60 follows the old road between Algonquin Park and east of Barry's Bay. At that point, the road branches out to the southeast, following portions of Renfrew County Road 66, 512 and 64. Approximately 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) west of Dacre, it encounters Highway 41. From there to Renfrew, Highway 132 follows the old road. [1]


Records about this migration route may be found on the following:

Other PagesEdit