Omaha Tribe of Nebraska
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
Guide to Omaha Tribe of Nebraska ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and other agency records.
To get started in Indigenous Peoples of the United States Research
Various Spellings: Omaha, Omahaw
- 1 Tribal Headquarters
- 2 History
- 3 Reservations
- 4 Bands and Groups of the Omaha Tribe
- 5 Records
- 6 Agencies
- 7 Superintendencies
- 8 Important Websites
- 9 References
- 10 Bibliography
Tribal Headquarters[edit | edit source]
Omaha Tribe of Nebraska
P.O. Box 368
Macy, NE 68039
- Omaha Tribe of Nebraska Official Website
History[edit | edit source]
The Omaha were associated with the Kansa, Quapaw, Osage and Ponca.
Brief Timeline[edit | edit source]
1802: A smallpox epidemic reduced the tribes population.
1804: The tribe was visited by Lewis and Clark
1824-37: The tribe was under the jurisdiction of the Upper Missouri Agency
1854: March 16, Treaty ceded their lands west of the Missouri.
1855: the tribe was removed to Dakota County, Nebraska
1837-56: The Council Bluff's Agency supervised the tribe
1856-76: Omaha Agency supervised the tribe
1876-80: Nebraska Agencies supervised the tribe
1882: a law was enacted granting lands in severalty and prospective citizenship.
1893: Allotments to Indian women and any child born since allotments were made under the Act of August 7, 1882
1936: Constitution ratified
Additional References to the History of the Tribe[edit | edit source]
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Omaha tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods. Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America and in David Bushnell's Villages of the Algonquian, Siouan and Caddoan Tribes West of the Mississippi.
Reservations[edit | edit source]
Bands and Groups of the Omaha Tribe[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters. They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Agencies[edit | edit source]
Superintendencies[edit | edit source]
Correspondence and Census Records[edit | edit source]
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
M595 RG 75 Rolls 962
|Omaha||Upper Missouri Agency, 1824-37||Washington D.C.||Rolls 883-88||-||-||-|
|Omaha||Council Bluffs Agency, 1837-56||Washington D.C.||Rolls 215-18||-||-||-|
|Omaha||Omaha (Winnebago) Agency, 1867-1946||Washington D.C. and Kansas City||Rolls 60406||-||Rolls 311-14, 663-70||Films: 579721-724 , and FHL Films: 583122-583103|
|Omaha||Nebraska Agencies, 1876-80||Washington D.C.||Rolls 519-29||-||-||-|
Treaties[edit | edit source]
- 1830 July 15, with Sauk and Foxes Etc., annuity, cession, reservation
- 1836 October 15, with the Oto, Etc., cession
- 1854 March 16,cession, removal, annuities,reserve
- 1865 March 6, cession, reservation, land divided in severally
- Allottees on the Namaha Half-Breed Reservation, 1860. These allotments first authorized land in severally to be given to Indians based on the Treaty of Prairie du Chien, 1830  FHL 970.1 J824j Vol. 9 No.1 pages 6-10
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
- Winnebago Agency, M595,Births and deaths 1924-1931, FHL Film: 583126 Births and deaths 1925-1932, FHL Film: 583127
Important Websites[edit | edit source]
- Constitution and By-Laws of the Omaha Tribe of Nebraska
- Omaha Tribe of Nebraska Official Website
- Omaha Tribe Wikipedia
References[edit | edit source]
- The Journal of American Indian Family Research. Ed by Larry S. Watson.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.:Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean:Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America:Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau:Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .:Volume 1 -- Not yet published:Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751:Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371:Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.:Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.:Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.:Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311:Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.:Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.:Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10. :Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.:Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.:Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643:Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176 :Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.:Volume 16 -- Not yet published :Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746:Volume 18 -- Not yet published :Volume 19 -- Not yet published:Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.