Difference between revisions of "Nottingham St James, Nottinghamshire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Added Parish History with Reference)
Line 5: Line 5:
 
NOTTINGHAM, a borough and market-town, forming a union and county of itself, locally in the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, of which it is the chief town. <br>  
 
NOTTINGHAM, a borough and market-town, forming a union and county of itself, locally in the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, of which it is the chief town. <br>  
  
Nottingham, '''St. James''', is&nbsp;the liberty of St. James, which is extraparochial.&nbsp;St. James' church or chapel, on Standard Hill, was erected in 1808.&nbsp; There are places of worship for '''Baptists''', '''Independents''', '''Wesleyans''', the '''Society of Friends''', '''Huntingtonians''', '''Sabellians''', and '''Unitarians'''; a '''synagogue'''; and a '''Roman Catholic''' cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51187#s12 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 446-461. Adapted,date accessed: 1 October 2013.</ref><br>
+
Nottingham, '''St. James''', is&nbsp;the liberty of St. James, which is extraparochial.&nbsp;St. James' church or chapel, on Standard Hill, was erected in 1808.&nbsp; There are places of worship for '''Baptists''', '''Independents''', '''Wesleyans''', the '''Society of Friends''', '''Huntingtonians''', '''Sabellians''', and '''Unitarians'''; a '''synagogue'''; and a '''Roman Catholic''' cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51187#s12 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 446-461. Adapted,date accessed: 1 October 2013.</ref><br>  
  
The town comprises the '''parishes''' of <u>St. Mary</u>, <u>St. Nicholas</u>, and <u>St. Peter</u>. The living of <u>St. Nicholas'</u> is a discharged rectory. The living of <u>St. Peter's</u> is a discharged rectory.&nbsp; <u>St. Paul's</u> church, erected as a chapel of ease to the vicarage of St. Mary's, in 1822, is an ecclesiastical district has been formed for it out of the parish. The church of <u>St. John the Baptist</u>, in the parish of St. Mary, was consecrated in Nov. 1844. <u>St. Ann's chapel</u>, attached to a cemetery belonging to St. Mary's parish, is also used for divine service. There are places of worship for '''Baptists''', '''Independents''', '''Wesleyans''', the '''Society of Friends''', '''Huntingtonians''', '''Sabellians''', and <u>Unitarians</u>; a <u>synagogue</u>; and a <u>Roman Catholic</u> cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas..<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51187#s12 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 446-461. Date accessed: 1 October 2013.</ref><br>
+
The town comprises the '''parishes''' of <u>St. Mary</u>, <u>St. Nicholas</u>, and <u>St. Peter</u>. The living of <u>St. Nicholas'</u> is a discharged rectory. The living of <u>St. Peter's</u> is a discharged rectory.&nbsp; <u>St. Paul's</u> church, erected as a chapel of ease to the vicarage of St. Mary's, in 1822, is an ecclesiastical district has been formed for it out of the parish. The church of <u>St. John the Baptist</u>, in the parish of St. Mary, was consecrated in Nov. 1844. <u>St. Ann's chapel</u>, attached to a cemetery belonging to St. Mary's parish, is also used for divine service. There are places of worship for '''Baptists''', '''Independents''', '''Wesleyans''', the '''Society of Friends''', '''Huntingtonians''', '''Sabellians''', and <u>Unitarians</u>; a <u>synagogue</u>; and a <u>Roman Catholic</u> cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.<br>
 +
 
 +
NOTTINGHAM, a borough and market-town, forming a union and county of itself, locally in the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, of which it is the chief town. St. Paul's church, erected as a chapel of ease to the vicarage of St. Mary's, in 1822, it is an ecclesiastical district has been formed for it out of the parish. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, the Society of Friends, Huntingtonians, Sabellians, and Unitarians; a synagogue; and a Roman Catholic cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.<br>
 +
 
 +
Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51187#s12 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 446-461. Adapted,date accessed: 4 October 2013.<br>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 44: Line 48:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
== References ==
+
== References ==
  
 
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}  
 
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}  
Line 50: Line 54:
 
{{Nottinghamshire}}  
 
{{Nottinghamshire}}  
  
{{reflist}}
+
{{reflist}}  
  
 
[[Category:Nottinghamshire]]
 
[[Category:Nottinghamshire]]

Revision as of 08:58, 4 October 2013

England Genealogy Gotoarrow.png Nottinghamshire, England Genealogy Gotoarrow.png Nottinghamshire Parishes

Parish History[edit | edit source]

NOTTINGHAM, a borough and market-town, forming a union and county of itself, locally in the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, of which it is the chief town.

Nottingham, St. James, is the liberty of St. James, which is extraparochial. St. James' church or chapel, on Standard Hill, was erected in 1808.  There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, the Society of Friends, Huntingtonians, Sabellians, and Unitarians; a synagogue; and a Roman Catholic cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.[1]

The town comprises the parishes of St. Mary, St. Nicholas, and St. Peter. The living of St. Nicholas' is a discharged rectory. The living of St. Peter's is a discharged rectory.  St. Paul's church, erected as a chapel of ease to the vicarage of St. Mary's, in 1822, is an ecclesiastical district has been formed for it out of the parish. The church of St. John the Baptist, in the parish of St. Mary, was consecrated in Nov. 1844. St. Ann's chapel, attached to a cemetery belonging to St. Mary's parish, is also used for divine service. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, the Society of Friends, Huntingtonians, Sabellians, and Unitarians; a synagogue; and a Roman Catholic cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.

NOTTINGHAM, a borough and market-town, forming a union and county of itself, locally in the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, of which it is the chief town. St. Paul's church, erected as a chapel of ease to the vicarage of St. Mary's, in 1822, it is an ecclesiastical district has been formed for it out of the parish. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, the Society of Friends, Huntingtonians, Sabellians, and Unitarians; a synagogue; and a Roman Catholic cathedral. This last edifice is dedicated to St. Barnabas.

Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 446-461. Adapted,date accessed: 4 October 2013.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records[edit | edit source]

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.

Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Nottingham St James

Census records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


See Nottinghamshire Census

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Nottingham Poor Law Union, Nottinghamshire Genealogy

Probate records
[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]


  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 446-461. Adapted,date accessed: 1 October 2013.