North Slope Borough, Alaska Genealogy
Guide to North Slope Borough, Alaska ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|North Slope Borough, Alaska|
Location in the state of Alaska, United States Genealogy
Location of Alaska in the U.S.
|Founded||July 2, 1972|
|Address||North Slope Borough |
P O Box 69
Barrow, AK 99723-0069
Phone: 907-852-2611 North Slope County Website
The Borough has Barrow as its seat and the Borough was created as an July 2, 1972. The Borough is located in the northern part of the state.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this borough.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this borough:
Business Records and Commerce
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden name; and death date.
For general information about Alaska denominations, see the Alaska Church Records wiki page.
The Family History Library also has copies of many Alaskan church records. To find a list in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for Alaska, the borough, or the town.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for North Slope Borough, Alaska Genealogy. Borough histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Alaska Local Histories.
Land and Property
The first general land office was established at Sitka, Alaska in 1885. Records of subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, are filed at the office of the district recorder in each judicial district. The Family History Library has not acquired copies of Alaskan land records.
- 1898-1934 - Alaska, State Archives (Juneau), Military Service Discharge Records, 1898-1934 at FamilySearch — index - How to Use this Collection
- 1940-1945 - Alaska, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images - How to Use this Collection
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1884-1991 - Alaska Naturalization Records, 1884-1991 at FamilySearch — index and images - How to Use this Collection
- 1900-1972 - Alaska, State Archives (Juneau), Naturalization Records, 1900-1972 at FamilySearch — index - How to Use this Collection
North Slope Borough, Alaska Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
For more Alaska newspaper information, see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Alaska Newspapers.
- 1800s-1999 U.S., Newspapers.com Marriage Index, 1800s-1999 at Ancestry - index ($)
Probate records of Alaska were kept by the district courts prior to statehood. The superior court now has jurisdiction over probate matters. They are available at the archives and offices mentioned in Alaska Court Records. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Alaska.
An index with about 17,000 probate cases from the district court system from 1884 to 1960 is available online. It is arranged alphabetically. See Alaska Probate Records Index.
Family History Centers
Alaska tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records. The Family History Library has not filmed Alaska tax records.
Real and personal property tax records are kept at the borough's Assessors office.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Department of Health and Social Services, Bureau of Vital Statistics. This office has birth, death and marriage records since 1890's, though, many before 1930 were not registered with the Bureau. It also has divorce records since 1950. For more information, including how to find earlier records, check Alaska Vital Records.
- 1816-1959 Alaska, Vital Records, 1816-1959 at FamilySearch — index and images — How to Use this Collection
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Alaska GenWeb Project, North Slope Borough.
- North Slope Borough, Alaska Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Genealogy Search CountyOffice.org
- Genealogy Trails
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), North Slope Alaska Borough p. 48.
- Wikipedia contributors, "North Slope Borough," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Slope_Borough,_Alaska 05/25/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "North Slope Borough, Alaska," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Slope_Borough,_Alaska, accessed 19 February 2019.