New Hampshire Periodicals
|New Hampshire Wiki Topics|
|New Hampshire Background|
|Local Research Resources|
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning New Hampshire genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals or magazines of special interest to those conducting New Hampshire research are:
- New Hampshire Genealogical Record 1903–April 1910; 1990–. Published by the New Hampshire Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2316, Concord, NH 03302. Family History Library book 974.2 D25nh; 1903–1910 on films 14928–29; and compact disc no. 99. In 1990 the New Hampshire Genealogical Society was re-established as the New Hampshire Society of Genealogists, and the publication was started again with the July 1990 issue. This quarterly contains articles on New Hampshire genealogy, history, and research. Each volume is indexed and there is a combined index.
- Volumes 1-7 are available online. See www.ebooksread.com for volumes 1-5, and 7.
- See www.archives.org for vol. 6.
- For vols. 7-18 the titles of the articles are online at NHSOG and you can do a key word search with Ctrl + F3.
- Historical New Hampshire 1944–. Published by the New Hampshire Historical Society, 30 Park Street, Concord, NH 03301. Family History Library book 974.2 H25h. The Family History Library has 1972 to the present. An index to volumes 1–25 (1944–1970) was also published by the society Family History Library book 974.2 H25h index. These volumes contain brief histories of New Hampshire towns plus biographies and character sketches of those living in New Hampshire.
- American-Canadian Genealogist: Official Journal of the American-Canadian Genealogical Society of New Hampshire 1975–. Published by the American-Canadian Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 6478, Manchester, NH 03108. Family History Library book 970 D25g. This source contains genealogical information and stories about the inhabitants of both New Hampshire and Canada and how their lives intertwined. It includes other states but is mainly concerned with those on the American-Canadian border.
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register 1847–. Published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116. A digital version is available at American Ancestors ($). Family History Library book 974 B2ne; on 43 films beginning with 845443; and on compact disc no.31 pts.1–9}}. This major periodical includes genealogies, vital records extracts, church records, local genealogies, and New England source material. All issues are well documented and indexed. Includes a cumulative index to 1995.
- The Granite Monthly 1877–1930. 51 vols on fiche only. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1982. Family History Library fiche 6010178–228 [set of 242]. This is a New Hampshire magazine devoted to literature, history, and state progress. It is also a good source of biographies. Some volumes are indexed, and there is an index to volumes 1–34 in volume 37.
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. New Hampshire periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: New Hampshire-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.