Montana Naturalization Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Montana Naturalization Records, 1868-1999
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1867-1877 (37 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Group||RG 21: Records of District Courts of the United States|
|National Archives Identifier||350|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes naturalization Records from the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Montana, part of RG 21 Records of the United States of the United States from the Denver Regional NARA facility for the following collections.
- NAID 6857750 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Records, 1889-1999
- NAID 1136993 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Index to Naturalization Records, 1894-1906
- NAID 4529409 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Certificate Stub Books, 1907-1927
- NAID 1136970 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Petitions, 1907-1927
- NAID 1137591 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization, 1892-1929
- NAID 1138207 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1891-1893
- NAID 1136984 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Records, 1889-1999
- NAID 1136990 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization records,1894-1906
- NAID 2674600 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Index to Naturalization records,1891-1898
- NAID 1137799 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term, Citizenship Record Books, 1894-1903
- NAID 1137818 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1894-1902
- NAID 1137887 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Index to Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1894-1902
- NAID 1137235 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Naturalization Petition and Record Books, 1910-1929
- NAID 1138216 U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Index to Citizenship Record Books, 1894-1903
- NAID 1136813 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Naturalization Petition Record Book, 1926-1926
- NAID 1137809 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Index to Citizenship Record Book, 1894-1903
Great Falls Term
- NAID 1137242 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Great Falls Term. Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1924-1924
First District(Bozeman) of Montana
- NAID 1138230 U.S. Territorial Court for the First (Bozeman) District of Montana. Declarations of Intention, 1868-1885
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Montana Naturalization Records, 1868-1999.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
These records may contain any of the following:
- Name of the immigrant
- Country of birth
- Arrival date
- Date of Declaration of Intent or Naturalization
- Names of witnesses
- Signature of judge or court official
- Birth date
- Last foreign residence
- Current residence
- Arrival place
- Marital status
- Name of spouse
- Maiden name of wife
- Birth date of spouse
- Residence of spouse
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The full name of your ancestor
- The approximate immigration and naturalization dates
- The ancestor’s residence
If you do not know this information, check the 1900 or 1910 census and then calculate the possible year of naturalization based on the date of immigration. The 1920 census may tell you the exact year of immigration or naturalization.
Search the IndexSearch by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Record Type, Year Range, and Volume number or letter to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find records in his or her country of origin such as emigrations, port records, ship’s manifests, birth, christening, marriage, and census records
- Learn foreign and “Americanized” names
- Use the information in the subsequent records to find additional family members
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Montana.
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- Montana Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings
- U.S. District Court. Southern District. Declaration of intent, 1891-1929; petition for naturalization, 1891- 1929; citizenship records, 1894-1906; certificates, 1907-1927
- U.S. District Court. Great Falls Division. Naturalization records, 1888-1999
- Immigration and Naturalization Service. Indexes to naturalization records of the Montana territorial and federal courts, 1868-1929
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.