Maine Death Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Maine Death Index, 1960-1996
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Maine|
|Location of Maine|
|Record Type||Death Index|
|Maine State Archives|
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains a death index with the years 1960-1996, by the Maine Department of Human Services from the Maine State Archives. The data for the year 1996 is not complete.
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Death date
- Death place
- City or town code
- Certificate number
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know
- The name of the deceased person
- The approximate date of death
Search the IndexSearch by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. The information may lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the certificate number to request a copy of the death certificate
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date
- Use the location find the family in census, church, and land records
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same place or nearby
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Check for variant spellings of the names
- Look for a different index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Maine.
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.