Difference between revisions of "London Metropolitan Archives"
m (Text replacement - "[[London Genealogy" to "[[London, England Genealogy")
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
''[[England Genealogy|England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Genealogy|London]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Archives and Libraries|London Archives and Libraries]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]][[London_Metropolitan_Archives|London Metropolitan Archives]]'' <br>
''[[England Genealogy|England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[LondonGenealogy|London]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Archives and Libraries|London Archives and Libraries]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]][[London_Metropolitan_Archives|London Metropolitan Archives]]'' <br>
Latest revision as of 14:57, 5 February 2021
Contact Information[edit | edit source]
- London Metropolitan Archives
40 Northampton Road
City of London EC1R 0HB
Telephone: 020 7332 3820
Hours and holidays: Monday 9:30 AM-4:45 PM; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:30 AM-7:30 PM; closed Fridays. Open one Saturday per month. For Saturday and holiday schedules, see Visitor Information.
Directions, maps, and public transportation: accessible by Underground (Farringdon station), rail, bus, bicycle, and car. For a map and further details, see: Visitor Information.
Internet sites and databases:
- Internet site
- Online catalogue
- London Signatures database - Archdeaconry Court of Middlesex wills index, Commissary for the Archdeaconry of Surrey marriage bonds index.
- London Generations database - index to parish registers, bishops transcripts, nonconformist records. In partnership with Ancestry.co.uk.
Collection Description[edit | edit source]
- Greater London parish registers, poor law records, wills, sessions records
- Subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
Tips[edit | edit source]
- History card required
- Common room with snack, hot and cold drink machines
- Digital photography permitted for a fee
- Computers available to the public
Guides[edit | edit source]
In addition, there are more than 50 information leaflets available online for specific record groups such as parish registers, nonconformist records, poor law records, cemetery records, wills, marriage licences, tax records, electoral registers, London freemen, livery companies, ethnic groups (Jews, black Caribbeans, Chinese, and Germans), foundlings, hospital records, clergymen, Middlesex deeds, prison records, and transported convict records.
[edit | edit source]
If you cannot visit or find a source at the London Metropolitan Archives, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- The British Library
- Guildhall Library
- London Family History Centre
- The National Archives
- Society of Genealogists Library
Sources[edit | edit source]