|Lincolnshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
- The Fenland Family History Society was founded in 2001 to promote and encourage the study of family, local and social history with particular reference to persons having lived in, or having been associated with, the historical area now known as Fenland. Fenland comprises the former Isle of Ely, parts of South Lincolnshire and West Norfolk.
Lincoln Record Society
Robert Hardy Building
Bishop Grosseteste University College
Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN1 3DY UK
Website: Lincoln Record Society
- The Society was founded in 1910 to print records and documents relating to the ancient county and diocese of Lincoln. The ancient diocese covered not only Lincolnshire, the second largest county of England, but also the wide area which lay within the medieval diocese: the counties of Lincoln, Leicester, Northampton, Rutland, Oxford, Bedford, Buckingham, Huntingdon and northern Hertford. Since 1910 the Society has published ninety nine volumes many of which are still in print.
Peterborough & District Family History Society
Salvation Army Citadel
1203 Bourges Blvd.
Peterborough, Northamptonshire PE1 2AU UK
Telephone: 01733 203151
Website: Peterborough & District Family History Society
- The Peterborough and District Family History Society has now been established for a third of a century. During that time we have successfully raised the profile of family history within the local area, transcribing and indexing many thousands of records and assisting hundreds of people with their research.
Lincolnshire Societies[edit | edit source]
- The Belton & district historical Society was formed in 2006 by a group of friends, to preserve the character of the village. Also to protect the historic foundations for generations to follow. Their aim is to record the past for future and preserve the present.
- The Delvers, an independent local history group, have already achieved an enormous amount in helping a whole new generation understand the meaning of local history.
- A small but dedicated group of amateur archaeologists, who undertake archaeological research in and around the Grantham area.
- Heritage Lincolnshire is a local charity working to conserve the rich history of the County for the benefit of people who live and work in the area.
- The Isle of Axholme originally comprised of the eight parishes of: Althorpe, Belton, Crowle, Epworth, Haxey, Luddington, Owston, and Wroot. During the mid-nineteenth century however, four of the original eight parishes were split and new parishes created, bringing the total number to twelve.
Lincolnshire Family History Society
41 North Street
South Kesteven, Lincolnshire PE10 9AE UK
Harrowby Lane Methodist Church Hall
121 Harrowby Ln
South Kesteven, Lincolnshire NG31 9LN UK
Website: Grantham Branch
Great Grimsby Town Hall
Town Hall Square
Grimsby, Lincolnshire DN31 1HU UK
Website: Great Grimsby Family History Group
Horncastle, Lincolnshire LN9 5BW UK
Bracebridge Heath Village Hall
Red Hall Lane
Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN4 2LB UK
Telephone: 01522 680275
Society of Genealogists
London EC1 UK
LFHS Email: email@example.com
Website: Lincolnshire Family History Society
- The Lincolnshire Family History Society covers Holland, Kesteven and Lindsey, the three parts of the Historic County of Lincolnshire.
- The purpose of the Society is to record and publish people's memories of Long Bennington, a village situated in the county of Lincolnshire in England.
Society for Lincolnshire History & Archaeology
Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN2 1LS UK
Telephone: 01522 521337
Website: Society for Lincolnshire History & Archaeology
- The Society aims to create a greater awareness of the history of Lincolnshire, and works to discover and record its heritage.
Wesley Historical Society - Lincolnshire Methodist History Society
Middle Rasen, Lincolnshire LN8 3SA UK
Telephone: 01673 885829
Website: Wesley Historical Society - Lincolnshire Methodist History Society
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. Area: Historic County of Lincolnshire.