Leyland, Lancashire Genealogy
Guide to Leyland, Lancashire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Chorley|
|Parish registers: 1651|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1622|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Lancashire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LEYLAND (St Andrew), a parish, in the union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N. division of the county of Lancaster; consisting of the chapelries of Euxton, Heapey, and Hoghton, and the townships of Clayton-le-Woods, Cuerden, Leyland, Wheelton, Whittlele-Woods, and Withnell. Leyland is 4½ miles northwest of Chorley. At Euxton, Heapey, Hoghton, Whittle-le-Woods, and Withnell are separate chapels. For other places in the parish see a List of Chapelries Within Leyland Parish. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, Independents, and Roman Catholics.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church records[edit | edit source]
- 1538 - 1910 England, Lancashire, Parish Registers 1538-1910 at FamilySearch — index
- 1603 - 1910 England, Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1603-1910 at FamilySearch — index and images
Leyland St Andrew's parish registers and those registers of all of its smaller chapelries lying within its boundaries have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the web sites below and for the following ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = findmypast (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|MOCO = Mocavo.com|
|LEYLAND ST ANDREW'S PARISH (1622) Indexes|
|EUXTON Chapelry (1737) Indexes|
|HEAPEY Chapelry (1734) Indexes|
|HOGHTON HOLY TRINITY Chapelry (1787) Indexes|
|FS||1786-1851; 1882-1895||None||1825; 1878; 1883|
|WHITTLE-LE-WOODS Chapelry (1837) Indexes|
|WITHNELL ST PAUL Chapelry (1841) Indexes|
Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the FamilySearch Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Catholic[edit | edit source]
- 1628 - 1628 List of Recusants in Laylande (p. 180)
- 1628 - 1628 List of Recusants in Cuerden (p. 182)
- 1628 - 1628 List of Recusants in Claytonn (p. 182)
- 1628 - 1628 List of Recusants in Wheeleton and Heapey (p. 183)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
- 1628 - 1628 Subsidy of Leylande (p. 170)
- 1628 - 1628 Subsidy of Wheeleton and Heapey (p. 171)
- 1628 - 1628 Subsidy of Cuerden (p. 170)
- 1665 - Lancashire Hearth Tax: Leyland Hundred, Clayton le Woods. E 179/132/351, The National Archives. Microfilm: FHL Film 2228692.
- 1665 - Lancashire Hearth Tax: Leyland Hundred, Leyland. E 179/132/351, The National Archives. Microfilm: FHL Film 2228692.
- 1665 - Lancashire Hearth Tax: Leyland Hundred, Wheelton. E 179/132/351, The National Archives. Microfilm: FHL Film 2228692.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 78-85. Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
- J.P. Earwaker, Three Lancashire Subsidy Rolls, viz., for the Hundred of Salford, 1541, the Hundred of Salford, 1622 and the Hundred of Leyland, 1628, Together with a Recusant Roll for the Hundred of Leyland, in 1628 (London: Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1885). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free.