Kniveton, Derbyshire Genealogy
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Kniveton is an Ancient parish in Derbyshire.
KNIVETON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (N. E.) from Ashbourn; on the road to Matlock; containing 326 inhabitants. The manor of "Cheniveton," so called in the Domesday survey, was from a very early period the property of the Kniveton family, and was sold by Sir Andrew Kniveton, Bart., in the reign of Charles I., to the family of Lowe; it afterwards passed to the Pegges, and others. The parish comprises 1947 acres of fertile land, principally on limestone, and occupied as dairy-farms; the surface is undulated, and the scenery picturesque: there are two limestone-quarries. The village, which is considerable, is well built. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £64; patron, J. Harrison, Esq., of Snelston Hall. The church is at the highest point and the south extremity of the village: it was erected about the close of the 13th century, and was lately restored, with open seats; it has a low tower and small spire. Two places of worship have been built by the dissenters, but one only is now used, by the Primitive Methodists. In 1715, John Hurd endowed a school with £8 per annum; but the premises for it not having been built agreeably to the will of the founder, or suitably to the wants of the parish, a new house has recently been erected, with assistance from the National Society and the Committee of Council on Education.
From: 'Knaresdale - Knock', Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 706-708. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51085 Date accessed: 28 March 2011.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.