Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Genealogy
Kirkintilloch and Lenzie (#498)
This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Kirkintilloch. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies
- 1 History
- 2 Census Records
- 3 Church Records
- 3.1 Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
- 3.2 Established Church—Kirk Session Records
- 3.3 Nonconformist Church Records
- 3.3.1 Kirkintilloch Associate, later United Secession Church
- 3.3.2 Kirkintilloch Original Associate Burgher Church, later United Original Seceders
- 3.3.3 Kirkintilloch Free St. David's Church
- 3.3.4 Kirkintilloch Congregational Church
- 3.3.5 Kirkintilloch Wesleyan Methodist Church
- 3.3.6 Kirkintilloch Branch, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- 4 Civil Registration Records
- 5 Probate Records
- 6 References
History[edit | edit source]
KIRKINTILLOCH, a burgh of barony and a parish, in the county of Dumbarton, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from Glasgow, and 40 (W.) from Edinburgh. The town is situated on the banks of the river Luggie, near its influx into the Kelvin. This parish and that of Cumbernauld were originally one, under the appellation of Lenzie, and continued as such till 1659, when, a church being built for the accommodation of the eastern portion at Cumbernauld, the ancient chapel of the Virgin Mary became the church of the western portion, which constitutes the present parish of Kirkintilloch. The church of St. David, to which a district was till lately annexed as a quoad sacra parish, was erected in 1837. There are also places of worship for members of the Free Church, United Secession, Associate Burghers, and Wesleyans.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at Statistical Accounts of Scotland 1791-1845. Search for Kirkintilloch.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about Scotland Census Records
Click here for a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of Kirkintilloch.
Below is information for any known surname indexes:
|1841||1841 census surname index, Dunbartonshire|
|1851||1851 census index : Dunbartonshire|
|1881||Film #6086556 (4 fiche)|
The 1901 census of Scotland is indexed on ScotlandsPeople ($).
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about Scotland Church Records.
Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers[edit | edit source]
|Type of Event||Years Covered||Family History Library Film Number|
|Births:||1656-1763||1041996 item 3|
|Marriages:||1656-1710||1041996 item 3|
Condition of Original Registers—[edit | edit source]
Index: For an index to these records, see ScotlandsPeople ($). The Scottish Church Records Index is also still available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Some records may also be indexed in other FamilySearch collections for Scotland.
Births: Early leaves are injured by dampness. There is a page of irregular entries (one family) 1665–1675 at January 1678. Mother's names are not recorded until about November 1680, and sometimes omitted 1689–1690. There is a page of entries 1771–1786 after 10 March 1781. Entries out of order of time are not infrequent.
Marriages: Record is blank August 1687–March 1690, excluding two entries 1689. No record of marriages appears to have been kept between 1710 and 1826.
Deaths: Excluding three entries, dated 1752, 1773, and 1789, after baptisms for 1741, there is no record until 1826.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records[edit | edit source]
The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The Kirk session was made up of he minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.
Here is a list of surviving Kirk session records for this parish:
Minutes 1709–1750, 1753–1822
Accounts 1710–1749, 1854–1878
Journal Accounts 1806–1820
Baptismal Register 1710–1732, 1801–1802, 1846, 1855–1901
Communion Rolls 1844–1886
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/1027.
Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union List.
According to the New Statistical Account of Kirkintilloch for 1839, the population of the parish was estimated as 6156. Of that number, 3583 belonged to the Established Church, 1234 to the United Secession church, 903 to the Original Burghers, and 85 to the Methodists.
Kirkintilloch Associate, later United Secession Church[edit | edit source]
When in 1735 the church and parish of Kirkintilloch became vacant, a number of the parishioners objected to the candidate presented by the patron and set themselves to prevent his settlement. When they failed, they withdrew from the Established church and acceded to the newly formed Associate Presbytery. The members traveled to Stirling for services, a distance of nearly 20 miles, until the first Secession congregation of Glasgow, Greyfriars, was formed, of which they became a part in 1741. At the 1747 Breach, the minister and congregation adhered to the Associate Burgher Synod. In 1765, those in Kirkintilloch petitioned to be disjoined and formed into a separate charge, which was granted. A church was built that year. The congregation became part of the United Associate Secession Synod in 1820. In 1846, due in part to the Synod's decision to unite with the Relief Synod, the minister and the majority of his congregation withdrew from the United Associate Synod and retained possession of the church property. The minority resolved to remain in the Synod. The majority congregation never affiliated themselves with any ecclesiastical connection until after the death of their minister in 1855, when they joined the Free Church. They were later known as St. Andrew's Free Church. The minority of the congregation obtained a minister and built a church in 1855.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. More details may be given in the source including a list of ministers.
No pre-1855 records for either congregation are known to exist.
Kirkintilloch Original Associate Burgher Church, later United Original Seceders[edit | edit source]
The history of this congregation is not known except that it was formed sometime prior to 1839 and that it became part of the United Original Secession Church when it was formed in 1842. The congregation joined the Free Church in 1852, became part of the United Free Church of Scotland in 1900, and later rejoined the Church of Scotland in 1929.
No known pre-1855 records.
Kirkintilloch Free St. David's Church[edit | edit source]
The minister and congregation of this church extension charge established in 1837, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. They lost possession of St. David's church and a new church was erected that year.
Membership: 1855, 350; 1900, 487.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843-1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. More details may be given in the source including a list of ministers.
Session Minutes 1845–1880
Deacon's Court Minutes 1846–1881
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/362.
Kirkintilloch Congregational Church[edit | edit source]
Occasional preaching was given by students in Kirkintilloch in 1800–1801. A church was formed in 1802. Due to the lack of a settled pastor, the cause became extinct in 1809. The chapel was sold to pay the debt on it.
Source: A History of Scottish Congregationalism, by Harry Escott, pub. 1960.
The extent of records is unknown. For information write to:
The United Reformed Church, Scottish Synod Office
PO Box 189
240 Cathedral Street
Glasgow G1 2BX
Kirkintilloch Wesleyan Methodist Church[edit | edit source]
This congregation was formed prior to 1844 when its chapel was built. The congregation was still active a hundred years later.
Source: Methodism in Scotland, by Wesley F. Swift, pub. 1947.
The extent or records is unknown. For information write to:
Methodist Archives and Research Centre
John Rylands University Library of Manchester
Manchester M3 3EH
Kirkintilloch Branch, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints[edit | edit source]
Record of members, early to 1947
Civil Registration Records[edit | edit source]
Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See Scotland Statutory Registers for more information and to access the records.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Kirkintilloch was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of Dunbarton until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Dunbarton. Probate records for 1513- 1901 are indexed online at ScotlandsPeople ($). You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Dunbarton and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Dunbarton.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Dunbarton. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Dunbarton and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'
Read more about Scotland Probate Records.
[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), pp. 98-121. Adapted. Date accessed: 20 February 2014.
Return to the Dunbartonshire, Scotland Genealogy