Iowa State Census, 1885 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Iowa State Census, 1885
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||State Census|
|State Historical Society, Des Moines|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of an index to the Iowa state census taken in 1885. The population schedule names every person in the household.
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Iowa, State Census, 1885.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Place and date of event
- Approximate Age
- Marital status
- Occupation of individual
- Parentage (if native or foreign) of father and mother
- Whether subject to military duty
- Whether entitled to vote
- If an alien whether or not have taken out naturalization papers
- Whether literate or not
- Any disabilities
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The name of other relatives
- The county where the family lived
Search the IndexSearch by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Locality to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Iowa State Census, 1885. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the ages listed to determine approximate birth dates and find the family in census records
- Use the information found in the record to find vital records such as birth, baptism, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.