Iowa, Death Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|State Historical Society of Iowa|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of an index and images of death records from the State Historical Society of Iowa.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the deceased
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Marital status
- Age at death
- Date of death
- Time of death
- Place of death
- Address of the deceased
- Parents’ names
- Places of birth of the parents
- Date of burial
- Place of burial
- Cause of death
- Name and address of the informant
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Iowa, Death Records Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The approximate date of death
- The place where the death occurred
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Iowa, Death Records Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Search for an obituary or cemetery record
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family
- Search for church records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- Iowa Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
- Iowa Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880
- Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.