Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This article lists issues previously reported for this collection and
may provide solutions or workarounds to those issues.
Notes[edit | edit source]
NOTE: To determine which digital records are likely to be found within a collection or to find missing images, see, How do I use the catalog to learn more about the collections in Historical Records?.
NOTE: Most missing records are available on microfilm. To view films, see Where do I find a family history center?.
NOTE: Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images are granted by the record custodians. FamilySearch respects and strives to adhere to all privacy laws respective to providing access to genealogical records. The images are available to Registered Patrons (must be signed in).
NOTE: Many of the parishes in Chicago have the same name. For excellent guidelines in ascertaining which parish ancestors may have attended, click here. The list of known parish record discrepancies describes where specific church records are found:
- Assumption BVM Parish records in South Marshfield can be found at Assumption BVM Parish (Chicago: 123rd St).
- Holy Family Parish records in Chicago proper can be found at Holy Family Parish (North Chicago).
- Holy Family Parish (North Chicago) should be entitled Holy Family Parish (Roosevelt Road, SW Chicago).
- Older St Mary Parish records can be found at both St Mary Parish (Chicago, Old, Michigan Ave) and St Mary of the Assumption Parish (Chicago: Old, Wabash).
- Records for Our Lady of Lourdes on Ashland Ave can be found at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish (Chicago: Keeler St).
- Records for Ss Peter & Paul Parish on 12433 S. Halsted Street are found at Ss Peter and Paul Parish (Chicago: Paulina St) > Baptisms 1914-1916, > Deaths 1914-1915, and > Marriage 1914-1916.
- St Casimir Parish (Chicago Heights) records can be found at St Casimir Parish (Chicago: S Whipple St) > Baptisms 1923-1957.
- St Nicholas German records are found at St Nicholas of Tolentine Parish (Chicago: 62nd St).
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Question 1[edit | edit source]
Question 1: Some records are missing. Where can the records be viewed?
Answer 1: See answers below for information about known missing records and respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
• St Pius V Parish (Chicago: Ashland Ave) > Baptisms 1903-1926 is missing page 94.
• When an image is covered with an overlay, move forward to the next image to view a copy of the image without the overlay. Occasionally the complete image was not re-filmed and not available for viewing. Holy Family Parish (North Chicago) > Marriages 1857-1916 > Image 234 is an example.
Question 2[edit | edit source]
Question 2: The Event Type and Year Range (waypoint) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. How can I determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer 2: The list of known waypoint discrepancies describes the event type or year range existing in the collection:
- St Patrick (Chicago) parish waypoints with year span errors:
|Link Dates||Correct Dates|
|Baptisms 1894-1915 Vol. 11||Baptisms, 1894-1899 Vol. 11|
|Baptisms 1894-1915 Vol. 12||Baptisms 1899-1906 Vol. 12|
|Baptisms 1894-1915 Vol. 13||Baptisms 1906-1915 Vol. 13|
|Baptisms 1894-1915 Vol. 14||Baptisms 1915 only Vol. 14|
- St Stanislaus Kostka Parish (Chicago: Noble St) > Marriages 1869-1889 year span should be 1869-1882. There are multiple links to records of Marriages for the years 1869-1915 with the exception of the years 1884-1886.
- St Jarlath Parish (Chicago: Jackson Blvd) > Communion and confirmation index 1925-1943 should read as Baptism Index 1925-1930.
- Go to the Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records article
- Go to the Illinois, Chicago, Catholic Church Records, 1833-1925 collection at FamilySearch.org