Hertfordshire, England Genealogy
|Hertfordshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Hertfordshire ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
County Information[edit | edit source]
Hertfordshire (abbreviated Herts  ) is a county in south east England  and is one of the "Home Counties" surrounding London along with Surrey, Essex, Kent, Berkshire, and Buckinghamshire.  The county town is Hertford.  The county takes its name from Hertford meaning a ford frequented by harts or stags.
The major towns are Hertford, St Albans (built on the site of a Roman settlement, Verulamium), Watford, Hatfield, and Letchworth (Britain's first Garden City).
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Parishes[edit | edit source]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Use an interactive map to find jurisdictions for each parish in Hertfordshire.
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Hertfordshire Resources and help pages on RootsChat Hertfordshire Resources and help pages. (Free).
- Hertfordshire Names Online: Courtesy of the Hertfordshire Record Office
- 1930 - England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index
Notes and References[edit | edit source]
- Burt Vance, A Dictionary of Abbreviations (Oxford University Press, Oxford Reference Online 2011, eISBN 9780199698295) accessed 3 June 2013.
- 'Hertfordshire' in Philip's World Encyclopedia (Oxford Reference Online 2004-2012, eISBN 9780199546091) accessed 3 June 2013.
- 'Home Counties' in Philip's World Encyclopedia (Oxford Reference Online 2004-2012, eISBN 9780199546091) accessed 3 June 2013.
- "Hertford Herts." in A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of British Place Names (1st rev ed., Oxford University Press, 2011; Print ISBN-13 9780199609086; Oxford Reference Online 2011-2012 eISBN 9780191739446).
|Buckinghamshire||Middlesex, England Genealogy||Essex|