||Insert these items
Here is an explanation of the items on this menu:
- Media - add to reference to media such as a video, but does not seem to be functional at this time (9/19/2016)
- Template - allows you to insert a template in an article.
- Table - allows creation of a table.
- Comment - allows insertion of a comment on the page that only is seen in the coding and does not appear on the saved page.
- Gallery - allows you to insert an image on a page.
- Reference list - allows you to place where on the page your references or footnotes will appear.
Detailed explanation of above items in Insert
Click on "More" to see the full list of items on the Insert list.
||Does not appear to be functional at the present time 9/19/2016
- Click on "Edit" in the tool bar at the top of page. The Visual Editor tool bar will now appear.
- Place your cursor where you want the template to appear in the article and click. The cursor will remain in that position.
- Then click "Insert" on the Visual Editor tool bar.
- Select "Template" from the drop down menu and the panel to the left will appear.
- When the panel appears, your cursor will appear in the narrow red box.
- Enter the name of the template you want to place leaving out "Template:"
- Click "Add template."
- You will then be asked to add more information.
- Then click "Apply changes."
- Then click "Save page."
- Another panel will appear asking for a Summary of what you have added to the page.
- The template should now appear at the location you had originally click your cursor.
- Place your cursor where you want the table to appear in the article and click.
- Click "Insert" on the Visual Editor tool bar.
- Then select "Table" from the drop down menu and the panel to the left will appear.
- The cell that is ready for entering data is in blue.
- The first row of cells will be for columns labels and the text will be in bold black as you make your entries. The rest of the cells will not be in bold lettering.
- The following rows of cells will be for your data.
- If you need more rows, click on the arrow to the side of the row you are working on.
- If you need more columns, click on the arrow on top the the column you are working on.
- You can also shift the location of rows or columns if needed by clicking on the arrows.
- If you want to merge cells, drag your cursor across the cells you want to merge and a panel will appear and then click merge.
- By clicking on "Properties" you can make the table "Sortable" or add a "Caption."
- Click "Save page" on Visual Editor tool bar and another panel will appear asking you to enter in the "Summary" box what you had just entered on the page.
- Then click "Save page" and table will appear on the page where you had selected.
- If your table did not appear where you wanted it, you will need to move it with Wikitext.
- If you now want to delete a table, highlight one of the cells while in the Visual Editor and a panel will appear with the delete key.
- To add a comment, click on the "Insert" tab on the Visual Editor tool bar, then click "More" at the bottom of the menu and then "Comment." The panel to the right will appear.
- Type in your comment in the edit box.
- Click "Insert" and the comment will be saved.
- Then click "Save page" on Visual Editor tool to save the comment to the page.
- While in the Visual Editor, the comment will appear as a small icon in the shape of a small gray circle with a explanation mark in the middle of it. If you put your cursor over the icon the comment will appear as a tooltip.
- If in Wikitext, the comment can only be seen in "Edit source."
- Place your cursor on the page where you want the full list of references or footnotes to appear and click.
- Next, click on "Reference list" on the drop down menu and the full list of references or footnotes will appear on the page where you clicked your cursor.