Harney County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Harney County Oregon genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harney County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon, United States Genealogy
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1889|
|Named for: Gen. William Shelby Harney|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Archives and Libraries
- 3.2 Cemeteries
- 3.3 Census
- 3.4 Church History and Records
- 3.5 Court Records
- 3.6 Gazetteers
- 3.7 History
- 3.8 Land and Property
- 3.9 Maps
- 3.10 Military History and Records
- 3.11 Newspapers
- 3.12 Probate Records
- 3.13 Rivers and Waterways
- 3.14 Taxation
- 3.15 Vital Records
- 4 Societies, Libraries, Museums
- 5 Websites
- 6 Harney County Oregon Genealogy References
[edit | edit source]
Harney County Courthouse
450 North Buena Vista Avenue
Burns, Or 97720
County Clerk has marriage records from 1911,
land and probate records from 1889, military
records from 1943 and naturalization records.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records. 
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Harney County Court House as of July 2008.
Harney County Court is structured differently. Check the County Records Inventory link for addresses for location of records (left column).
- Record Loss:
Historical Facts[edit | edit source]
|Template:Adoption Genealogical Council of Oregon|
Named for Brig. Gen. William S. Harney of U.S. Army, who was involved in "Pig War" and popular in the Pacific Northwest.
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
No parts were taken to create any county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
Trivia Tidbits[edit | edit source]
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
Resources[edit | edit source]
Archives and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1870, part of Grant County. Entire area that later formed Harney County was not enumerated.
- 1880, part of Grant County. Entire area that later formed Harney County was not enumerated.
Church History and Records[edit | edit source]
Lutheran[edit | edit source]
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Hines, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military History and Records[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
[[ https://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home/usa/or%7COregon Online Historical Newspapers]] - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Rivers and Waterways[edit | edit source]
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Many early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
Societies, Libraries, Museums[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- The Harney County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
Harney County Oregon Genealogy References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harney County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)