Difference between revisions of "Harefield, Middlesex Genealogy"
|Line 139:||Line 139:|
Revision as of 23:49, 9 January 2016
Guide to Harefield, Middlesex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Middlesex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Uxbridge|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Rural Deanery||Not created until 1858|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|London Metropolitan Archives|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
'Harefield Virgin Mary (1538), a parish, in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 4¼ miles north of Uxbridge.'
The Victoria County History of Harefield (1962) is available online. It includes a history of land ownership, manors, estates, mills, economic and social history, local government, church, nonconformity, schools, and charities.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census and Inhabitants Lists[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1666 Hearth Tax[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Manorial Records[edit | edit source]
Records survive for three manors in Harefield Parish: Brackenbury Manor (1807-1808), Harefield Manor (1301-1900), and Moorhall Manor (1558-1913). The Manorial Documents Register will help you locate these records.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Harefield on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848 Date accessed and adapted: 24 October 2013.
- A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 237-258. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=85 Date accessed: 27 March 2012.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary the Virgin, Harefield in Hillingdon Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Harefield St Mary the Virgin in Hillingdon Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Harefield St Mary the Virgin in Hillingdon Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Harefield St Mary the Virgin in Hillingdon Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'About Middlesex Baptisms Index 1538-1751,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 16 March 2012.
- 'West Middlesex Marriage Index Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 8 March 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- 'Middlesex baptism records coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 29 September 2012.
- 'Middlesex Parish Record Transcripts,' The Genealogist, accessed 10 March 2012.
- 'Middlesex Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Middlesex,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 20 March 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm