|Greece Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
There are many societies and organizations that may have information of value to your research. There are a few such societies in Greece, the United States, and other countries and areas where Greeks emigrated, such as Egypt, South Africa, South America, Europe, and Australia.
Most of these societies publish helpful periodicals, transcripts, and compiled genealogies, and they may have special indexes, collections, and projects. They may publish queries about Greek ancestors or maintain a list of members’ research interests. Some specialize in the immigrants to a specific area. You may find it helpful to join one of these societies and support their efforts.
The following societies may be of interest:
Hellenic Historic and Genealogical Service
Greek American Folklore Society
Ancestry.com Greece Message Boards.
Rootsweb has mailing lists for Greece. Website: https://mailinglists.rootsweb.com/listindexes/
Historical and Ethnological Society
Telephone: +30 210 3237617 114
Heraldic and Genealogical Society of Greece
3rd Septemvriou Street #56, Mouseion
Note:Time in Greece is 7 hours ahead of eastern time, and 9 hours ahead of mountain time.
- American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA)
- Foundation of the Hellenic World
- Greek Archive Film Foundation
National Hellenic Society
85 S. Bragg Street, Suite 201
Alexandria, VA 22312
Greek National History Museum has much to offer relating to Greek history. Address:
13 Stadiou Str
Address (in Greek):
Μέγαρο Παλαιάς Βουλής
Telephone: 210-3237617, 210-3237315, 210-3222266
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.nhmuseum.gr/
Hellenic Literary and Historical Archive Society Address:
Agiou Andreou 5
Athens, PC 10556
Αγίου Ανδρέου 5
Αθήνα, Τ.Κ. 10556
Telephone: 210 - 3211149
Ethnic Heritage Societies
- The addresses of many ethnic heritage historical societies in North America are given in:
- Smith, Betty P. Directory: Historical Agencies in North America. 13th Edition. Nashville, Tennessee, USA: American Association for State and Local History, 1986. (FHL book 970 H24d 1986)
- Wheeler, Mary Bray, ed. Directory of Historical Organizations in the United States and Canada. 14th Edition. Nashville, Tennessee, USA: American Association for State and Local History, 1990. (FHL book 970 H24d 1990)
Many regional societies in Greece are groups where people from a town or region associate and get news of others from the same area. For example, the society for Greeks from Pelasgia (Syllogos Pelasgioton) is located in Athens. Pelasgia is a town in the county Fthiotidos. There is also a society of Greeks from Fthiotidos (Syllogos Fthioton) county located in Athens. There are also societies of Greek immigrants who came from various localities in Greece. Identifying immigrant Greek societies from a particular region or town of Greece can be difficult. You can contact the Greek embassy for possible addresses of such groups. For example, there are organizations for Greeks from Kythira or Sparta. Additional information on societies and other sources of information about Greece are in:
- Wasserman, Paul, and Alice E. Kennington, eds., Ethnic Information Sources of the United States. Second Edition. Detroit, Michigan, USA: Gale Research Company, 1983 (FHL Ref 973 F24w).
- Kythera Heritage website