Gallatin County, Illinois Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
- 1812--Gallatin County was created 14 September 1812 from Randolph County. County seat: Shawneetown 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
The following have information concerning African American research.
- Register of Slaves (Indentures) and Emancipation of Slaves - provided by the Illinois State Genealogical Society; originally published in 1978.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Gallatin County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Gallatin Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Gallatin County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Gallatin County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
Census[edit | edit source]
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
For tips on accessing census records online, see Illinois Census.
Church[edit | edit source]
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Gallatin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Gallatin County.
- - 56th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies D and F.
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Societies and Libraries [edit | edit source]
Web Sites[edit | edit source]
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Gallatin County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)